View Full Version : Canon EOS Viewer Utility

Jason Dunn
05-22-2004, 02:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/customer/evu.html' target='_blank'>http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/customer/evu.html</a><br /><br /></div>"EOS Viewer Utility (EVU) downloads JPEG and RAW files from EOS digital SLRs, can convert RAW images and allows the modification of camera settings. EVU will NOT convert RAW images from PowerShot cameras. Supported Cameras: EOS D30, EOS D60, EOS 10D, EOS Digital Rebel, EOS-1D, EOS-1D Mark II, EOS-1Ds. EOS Capture v1.0 is automatically installed with EVU and enables control of the camera from the computer. EOS Capture v1.0 only supports EOS-1D, EOS-1Ds and EOS-1D Mark II."<br /><br />At first I was excited about this software, then I rememebered that I never connect my camera to my computer - I just take out the memory card and put it in a memory card reader. I'm curious how many of you do the same, so it's survey time. If you don't have a digital camera, click on the DISCUSS link to see the results.<br /><br /><b>UPDATE:</b> I can't update a poll once it has started without destroying the data, so just pretend that "ou" says "out". :oops: :lol:

Bob12
05-22-2004, 03:54 AM
I found very quickly with my previous cameras that pictures 4mp and above can take a long time to transfer directly from the camera. I did not even install the drivers for the two new cameras. I did however, install the new Canon RAW converter that came with the Mark II just in case I need that capability.

James Fee
05-22-2004, 03:56 AM
I don't recall ever using NikonView to download pictures, let alone any other program. I like the control that I get from Windows Explorer or from the Macintosh Finder. A close friend swears by using the Kodak dock and software to download his pictures. To each their own I guess.

I think we'll find the more advanced the user, the less likely they will use the direct connection to their camera.

Suhit Gupta
05-23-2004, 03:34 AM
Yeah, same here, I end up using Explorer. Although, I guess I really should try one of these utilities. After looking at the screenshots, they really do look very user friendly.

Suhit

phillypocket
05-24-2004, 05:42 PM
Strangely I used to alway remove the card with my casio. Since I switched to the 828, I tend to plug the camera in directly. Thinking about it I suppose that 1) the usb 2.0 interface feels as fast as a card (actually faster since before the new camera my card reader was 1.1), and 2) I usually charge it at the same time.
Strange how habits change without realising it. 8O

Jonathon Watkins
05-24-2004, 11:31 PM
I use my Crucial USB 2 card reader to read my 1Gb CF card. When it is inserted, Canon ZoomBrowser EX automatically launches and I set a download directory. The photos are then automatically downloaded, named & rotated. Works for me! 8)