View Full Version : Megapixels Have Become Commoditized

Jason Dunn
05-18-2004, 09:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/nm/20040518/tc_nm/column_pluggedin_dc' target='_blank'>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/nm/20040518/tc_nm/column_pluggedin_dc</a><br /><br /></div>"Digital cameras with the power to develop a picture as big as beach towel may attract attention, but it's better to look for more-practical camera features that meet everyday needs. So far, megapixels -- the measure of how many millions of picture elements are captured in a digital snapshot -- have served as the primary way camera makers differentiate their models. <br /><br />Only 18 months ago, U.S. shoppers were still buying 2-megapixel cameras. Today, more-potent 5-megapixel models are easily affordable, and 8 megapixel versions are already on the market. More megapixels give picture-takers more flexibility to manipulate snapshots after they are taken, allowing them to do things like zoom in to find out the color of a person's eyes. But experts say consumers generally use cameras to record important events, not to play with pixels and pigments."<br /><br />Most of us already knew this, but I think it's official now: megapixels are no longer the driving factor in deciding which camera to buy, and that's a good thing. Now other factors come into play - in the consumer space, I think the three most critical factors are how quickly a camera turns on and is ready for that perfect shot, how quickly the camera takes the picture when you press the shutter button, and how much optical zoom the camera has. The article goes on to cover some of the other differentiators that digital camera makers are focusing on. What do you think will become the major differentiators for the rest of this year?

michael
05-18-2004, 10:32 PM
Megapixels will still drive the market unless consumers get educated about other things that are important. Zoom seems to be important, but the average consumer doesn't know the difference between optical and digital zoom and nobody that wants to sell them a camera is going to them why digital zoom is bad.

Megapixels are going to hit a limit though a consumer who never prints above 8" x 10" just doesn't need more than 4 megapixels unless they crop their photos a lot. I suspect most users wouldn't know how to though.

I'd hope that quality would drive the market, such as better glass and faster response times, but I'm not convinced that the average consumers see this as a problem. I see lots of people using a camera in a cellphone as their main camera and tolerate having a picture taken sometime after they press the button on the camera because "that's just how it works".

I'm not sure when I'll replace my 10D, but for me the things that will drive an upgrade will be:
- More megapixels, 10 or 12 (mainly so I can crop more and still print at 12" x 18")
- Larger sensor size, ideally matching 35mm film so there's no multiplier when using lenses designed for 35mm film. Canon have started doing lenses that are shorter so the focal length is equivalent to 35mm lenses, but only for one camera and only one lens so far I think.
- I don't need more onboard memory on a camera, that's what CF cards are for, as long as the camera can buffer a few shots that's great.
- Be able to take shots faster, i.e. more per second, they've already got the response time from pressing the button to taking the shot down to what feels like no delay.
- Viewfinder is 100% of the actual image - it's about 95% or so now.[/list]

Lee Yuan Sheng
05-18-2004, 11:50 PM
- Looks: Cool cameras sell. Ugly bricks don't.
- Size/weight: Most people aren't going to lug around 5kg worth of kit. Any of the 8 MP cameras are already considered heavy and large to most.
- Egronomics: No one likes holding an awkward lump of metal and glass.
- Endorsement: Panasonic pulled off a major win by signing up J-pop diva Ayumi Hamasaki. Despite being a so-so camera, the DMC-F7 sold like mad thanks to that.

Lee Yuan Sheng
05-18-2004, 11:58 PM
To comment on Michael's post:

- most people probably don't need more than 3 megapixels. The difference between 3 and 4 is fairly silly.
- you don't need 10-12 megapixels to do 12x18s. A friend has done it on a D1H, which roughly produces 2000x1312 images. 10 megapixels will be about 4000x2600.. That's a lot of cropping!
- I never got the obsession with 35mm sensor sizes. It's like asking 35mm film to be bigger.

bcre8v2
05-19-2004, 12:51 PM
Regardless of megapixels, zoom, ergonomics, "looks", etc. I try to convince to people the best digital camera is the one that they are most comfortable with. Having used (not owned) more than 20 digital cameras over the last 5 years, I keep going back to my Canon G1, EOS 10D, or Sony DSC P8 depending on how/what I am shooting. I have produced many images that appear to be better from the Sony (3 mp) vs. the newer EOS 10D. Granted, I have rarely done any print work above 11" x 17".

Jason, how about a new poll: "How many digital cameras do you own?"
or

"What is the first factor in determining your next digital camera?"
(price, mp, storage, manufacturer, hotshoe, etc...)