View Full Version : digital 8 or mini dv?

groan
05-14-2004, 06:26 PM
hey all.
i may be looking at buying a digital video camera for routine family videos. i am a bit of a quality nut, though so i wonder what other members are into?
what format do you prefer between mini DV and digital 8 mm?

details would ROCK too...

Jason Dunn
05-14-2004, 06:46 PM
I haven't heard of any quality difference at all to be honest - I think it's more of a "We're Sony, we're going to do it our way" than anything else. I'd go for MiniDV myself though, if only because it's a more common format. Ultimately you can't go wrong with either one though.

dean_shan
05-14-2004, 09:22 PM
I bought a Digital 8 ( about 5 years ago ) becasue I wanted to be able to digitize my old 8mm tapes easily. But if I were to buy a camera now I would get MiniDV. You can cut down on a lot of bulk if you use MiniDV.

groan
05-14-2004, 10:08 PM
great!
Thanks guys.
I think that makes sense to me...
MiniDV it will be then...i suppose if for nothing more than the form-factor...Mini DV is smaller meaning smaller cameras.

Cheers,

Don Tolson
05-14-2004, 11:00 PM
I bought a Sony Digital 8 (TRV460) lately, specifically so I could read/transfer all my old 8mm tapes. the 460 will translate these on the fly, and the quality is as good as when they were originally taken. It will also (apparently) take input from my VCR, so I could translate all those old VHS tapes as well. But I haven't tried that yet.

The camera itself is fairly heavy (like the old 8mm), so use on a long shoot gets a bit tiring.

For me, I'd just like to get rid of the tapes completely, but for now, I need to translate all those old 8mm to DVD.

If you don't need to the do the translation of your 8mm, I'd suggest MiniDV or the DVD cameras.

Gary Sheynkman
05-15-2004, 02:14 AM
Go for MiniDV. Digital 8 is living its last year (or two) before companies start to phase out all of their digital 8 lines

backpackerx
05-17-2004, 03:21 AM
Go for MiniDV. Digital 8 is living its last year (or two) before companies start to phase out all of their digital 8 lines

Yep, I agree with Gary. MiniDV is a newer technology and will be supported longer.

mrkablooey
05-17-2004, 11:13 AM
I'd agree with everyone else: go with the more "standard" format--MiniDV.

groan
05-18-2004, 06:46 PM
OK, Will Do!

when it comes time, i'll come back with a couple of models that intrest me to get your feedback.

Thanks everyone! I've been out of the loop for far too long with regards to video.