View Full Version : What brand of photo paper do you use?

James Fee
05-14-2004, 12:52 AM
There are just so many choices out there. Most people think the safe choice is buy the paper "made" by your printer maker, but some go a different route.

I've used Red River Paper (http://www.redriverpaper.com/) for the past few years and have fell in love with it. The paper works as well if not better than the Epson/Canon paper I had been using and is much cheaper, with a better selection. I like the 68lb photo gloss. :D

What do you guys use?

Bob12
05-14-2004, 01:46 AM
For routine prints, I use Kodak Premium High Gloss 59 pound. For the more important prints or ones I make for other people, I use either Hewlett Packard Premium Glossy 64 pound or Ilford Galerie Smooth Gloss. I'm not sure of its pound rating but it's 280 grams/square meter. Based on the similar ratings for the other papers, I'd say it's about 74 pound.

Lotto
05-14-2004, 05:45 PM
I have a been using the Epson papers. I always get them when a local store has a 'buy a pack, get a pack free' sale.

Always nice to know what other papers work comparably well though. I may have a need for them in the future. Thanks for pointing them out!

Jason Dunn
05-14-2004, 05:56 PM
I tend to use Canon paper myself, but I also have quite a bit of Epson paper and some IBM 4x6 paper that is surprising good (it was very inexpensive).

wesley762
05-14-2004, 06:00 PM
I just use Hp photo paper but thats because I have all Hp printers.

Suhit Gupta
05-14-2004, 10:20 PM
I use Kodak and HP paper. I prefer to have 60lb HP paper to the Kodak though.

Suhit

dartman
05-14-2004, 10:40 PM
I use Canon Photo Glossy or Ilford on my Canon I960.

I use Hp or Kodak Ultimate on the HP printer.

I understand that the Epson paper works well on the Canon but I haven't tried it yet.

dart

James Fee
05-15-2004, 03:21 AM
I understand that the Epson paper works well on the Canon but I haven't tried it yet.
Works very well. I've used it from time to time.

Gary Sheynkman
05-15-2004, 06:52 PM
I just use the HP photo paper when I do print something at home....

rlobrecht
05-05-2005, 04:03 PM
Anybody still here?

We've jsut discovered that a bunch of pictures we printed on some less expensive paper (Office Depot brand and a Wal-Mart brand) are having problems several months after printing. The Office Depot ones are getting sticky, and the Wal-Mart ones are actually becoming blurry. I'm wondering if people are still happy with their paper choices a year later. How do those pictures you printed a while back look now?

Jason Dunn
05-05-2005, 04:12 PM
Interesting....I have to admit that most of the pictures I print are for other people, so I don't have a lot of pictures to go by. Most of my pictures are printed on Canon paper, it's only recently that I picked up some generic paper from Staples. Kind of shocking that it started to get funky after only a year! 8O

wesley762
05-05-2005, 08:33 PM
everything that I have done with the Hp brand has held out very nicely. I have a few pictures now that are going on 4 and a half years and holding strong. and they are not just in a book or anything they are hanging on my wall.

beatyjenyns
10-17-2007, 04:48 AM
Hey Everybody,
I just tried the photo paper samples I got from freephotopaper.com.
And I have to say the prints were beautiful on both the gloss and satin.
I highly recommend you check out their free samples at http://www.freephotopaper.com/sample-offerp.htm
A free course on digital photo printing also comes with the samples.

cheers
beaty

ionen
05-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Have two printers at home, a laser one for text usage and an older HP Deskjet which we rarely use to print photos.
For the second one we've bought HP Premium Photo Paper 10x15 cm.

NoYouAre
05-16-2008, 06:20 AM
HP's "Everyday." Semi-gloss so cleaning isn't as impossible in case a smear finds its way onto it. That and the fact it's only €2,00 more than regular paper.