View Full Version : Searching for New LCD Monitors - Any Suggestions?

Jason Dunn
05-13-2004, 06:00 PM
I've had twin Samsung 17" LCDs (170s') for almost two years now, and I'm itching to get a pair that are a bit bigger (19") and that have a lower refresh rate for gaming. That, and a few dead pixels have cropped up on one of the monitors. :? Based on what I've read, anything below 25ms on the refresh rate is good - at 20ms, Maximum PC reported that there was no noticeable ghosting on a Samsung 17" monitor that they reviewed. I'm a big fan of Samsung, but they don't seem to have a 19" thin-bezel monitor with a sub-25ms refresh rate. Any suggestions as to other brands and models I should be looking at? The monitors will need to accept both analog and digital inputs, because right now I'm running analog, but down the road I'd like to switch to digital (hopefully dual-DVI connectors will become more common by then).

Suhit Gupta
05-13-2004, 06:10 PM
So one of the big requirements for me was that my LCD was to have at least 1600x1200 native resolution and a secondary requirement was that it was to be ≥19", and when I got my LCD, there was only one in the market, at least in the affordable range - the Viewsonic VP201mb, which appears to now have been replaced with the VP201b (http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/proseries/vp201b/). I highly recommend it. Gaming is unbelievable with 16ms refresh and the color are very vivid.

Suhit

Janak Parekh
05-13-2004, 06:10 PM
I'd say aim for 1600x1200 -- although, on analog circuits, they tend to develop shadows. :| A really good-quality cable might be able to help, although I'd say you should start shopping for dual-DVI at the same time.

Nevertheless, take a close look at the Viewsonic 20" screens (http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/proseries/vp201b/) -- I have the "older" model and love it -- and these have the awesome slim bezel styling. :)

My next generation monitor will be one of these (http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/proseries/vp2290b/) -- once they're affordable. 8O

--janak

Jason Dunn
05-13-2004, 06:12 PM
So one of the big requirements for me was that my LCD was to have at least 1600x1200 native resolution

Yeah, see, for me that's just too small on a 19"....at least, I think it is since I don't have one sitting in front of me here. I'll check out the Viewsonic's though, thanks!

Janak mentions the other problem - 1600 x 1200 is too much bandwidth for an analog connection, which means I'd need to get a new video card as well, one with two DVIs instead of the one that I have now.

So I'm still leaning towards 1280 x 1024 - I quite like that resolution.

Suhit Gupta
05-13-2004, 06:30 PM
Yeah, see, for me that's just too small on a 19"....at least, I think it is since I don't have one sitting in front of me here. I'll check out the Viewsonic's though, thanks!
This is why I recommended the 20/21" VP201b. Trust me that the font looks amazing on this unit with 1600x1200.
Janak mentions the other problem - 1600 x 1200 is too much bandwidth for an analog connection, which means I'd need to get a new video card as well, one with two DVIs instead of the one that I have now.
This unit is also capable of taking analog input and I actually run my server off of the analog connection so I can swtich to it in case it needs any administering. I also use the analog connection for temporary machines that I may be building. However, I have never really noticed any ghosting. There is blurriness but that is because it is an analog signal and I am used to a sharp digital signal. What video card do you have?
So I'm still leaning towards 1280 x 1024 - I quite like that resolution.
I definitely recommend that you go to a computer store and check out the different resolutions on different sized LCDs.

Suhit

Jason Dunn
05-13-2004, 07:00 PM
However, I have never really noticed any ghosting. There is blurriness but that is because it is an analog signal and I am used to a sharp digital signal. What video card do you have?

The bluriness you're seeing in analog mode is due to the analog cable not having the bandwidth needed to do 1600 x 1200 resolution - 1280 x 1024 is the ceiling for what analog can handle. Analog vs. digital signals at 1280 x 1024 and less are identical. It's a common error that the digital signal is somehow "crisper".

I have a Sapphire Radeon 9600 with one DVI port and one VGA port, so I'd need to run analog for now anyway, which means 1600 x 1200 is off the list. Plus, 20-21" monitors seem to be quite a bit more expensive than 19".

Does anyone have any suggestions for 19" monitors?

James Fee
05-13-2004, 07:10 PM
The only 19" LCDs I've ever used are the Dell UltraSharp 1901FP (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=04&sku=320-0699&category_id=4009). I think they are very sharp. I don't know who makes them though.

Just looked at the specs. Might not be enough for what you want

Janak Parekh
05-13-2004, 07:26 PM
Analog vs. digital signals at 1280 x 1024 and less are identical. It's a common error that the digital signal is somehow "crisper".
Perhaps, but not having to worry about calibration at any resolution is nice. :) Additionally, it's predicated on your video card having a good RAMDAC and having a high-quality signal cable. Since you have a good card, that's a relatively moot point.

In any case, dual 1280x1024 certainly works, but you really should sit in front of a 1600x1200 screen before writing it off as a choice. ;)

--janak

The Yaz
05-13-2004, 09:27 PM
For our conference room we recently purchased a Samsung Synchmaster 19" multifunction LCD. It has some pretty neat options (analog/digital inputs, 1280x1024 resolution, tv tuner, PIP, and HDTV ready).

here's the link to the info page http://www.samsungusa.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&prod_id=RB19NSSS&selTab=Specifications

So far we've run persentation dvds and toggled to a powerpoint presentation at the same time. I cannot comment on gaming experience, but the video running in its PIP window looked crisp and clean.

I know it ups the price $200 usd compared to the standard monitor, but you might be suprised at how enjoyable having the tv screen available while your pc is converting a video clip is late at night.

Steve 8)

OSUKid7
05-13-2004, 09:29 PM
You must make a lot of money ;) - getting rid of a dual-LCD setup to buy two newer, bigger LCDs? Wow. Can't wait to get a job that pays that much. ;)

Anyway, wish I could help. I'm still stuck on my Samsung SyncMaster 760V TFT that I got two or three years ago (can't even remember lol).

Jason Dunn
05-13-2004, 10:31 PM
You must make a lot of money ;) - getting rid of a dual-LCD setup to buy two newer, bigger LCDs? Wow. Can't wait to get a job that pays that much. ;)

Well, I spend all my days and most of my evenings staring at my monitors, so it's sort of like a professional athlete having good shoes: if you use them, they have to be good. ;-)

fgarcia10
05-13-2004, 10:46 PM
Jason,

Before you buy any other brand, at least try the Mitsubishi DiamondPoint series, I'm only using a 17" one but quality is amazing, has the digital connection. Oh by the way, even with my 5 years old son playing and touching with the display while at Nickjr.com still no dead pixel :wink:

ux4484
05-13-2004, 11:11 PM
very happy with my NEC 19" XtraView+ (1920NX)

We have an army of the 21" version at work that run 24/7, the users are very happy with them.

JTWise
05-13-2004, 11:25 PM
So Jason, you going to donate those old monitors to the Grand Opening giveaway :lol:.

I am getting lots of good info from this thread. I am drooling (still need the emoticon!!) over a nice new monitor but my 6+ year old 20" CRT refuses to die. I would consider dropping it to accelerate the process, but I think it might damage the foundation of my house if I did (the thing is HUGE and weighs a ton)!!

Anyway, we have a couple of NEC units at the office and they look pretty nice.

Jason Dunn
05-13-2004, 11:29 PM
So Jason, you going to donate those old monitors to the Grand Opening giveaway :lol:.

Haha....probably not. ;-) My wife wants one of them, and the other will go to replace my 19" Sony CRT that I have set up as a workstation for testing/fixing computers.

OSUKid7
05-14-2004, 12:57 AM

Haha....probably not. ;-) My wife wants one of them, and the other will go to replace my 19" Sony CRT that I have set up as a workstation for testing/fixing computers.
Hmm, then donate the 19" CRT? hehe ;)

Phoenix
05-14-2004, 12:58 AM
NEC MultiSync LCD2080UX+BK (http://www.necmitsubishi.com/products/ProductDetail.cfm?Product=327&ClassificationFamily=1&Classification=1)

Now this is a nice monitor - and the closest thing I could find to what you're looking for, although it's 20" instead of 19", but I guess you can't have everything. Keep in mind that to find a monitor with everything you're looking for, you're going to spend some bucks - that's just all there is to it.

20.1", 16ms response time, UXGA native res - of course, lower res is supported, 60-85 MHz refresh, 400:1 contrast ratio, DVI-I/D and VGA inputs, thin black bezel, 3-yr warranty - $1200 - $1400 USD.

The most difficult thing about meeting all of the specs you mention is finding a monitor with the response time you're looking for - most everything is around 25ms, but if you want sub-25ms, you'll pay for it.

NEC makes nice monitors. I don't know what your budget is, but this is the closest thing that I could track down right now that would meet all of the specs that you outlined.

Good luck.

:)

Jason Dunn
05-14-2004, 03:21 AM
Cool, thanks, I'll look into it. :-)

Kacey Green
05-14-2004, 03:38 AM
Maximum PC really seems to be into the dell LCD they reviewed in the most recent issue.

Jason Dunn
05-14-2004, 04:20 AM
Maximum PC really seems to be into the dell LCD they reviewed in the most recent issue.

Good call! I forgot about that - you're right, they loved the 2001FP. It's $1549 CND, so not cheap...but 20"....mmm. I have the resolution problem again, so maybe it's time to get a dual DVI video card. I've only had this Radeon card for maybe six months though....I usually hold onto them for longer than that.

Here's a list of dual DVI cards that I found:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=995763&enterthread=y

So now I wonder which one should I pick? :roll:

flumbo
05-19-2004, 06:35 PM
Its a little bigger, but I love my samsung 21.3T monitor. The pivot feature is great for viewing web sites as you get a taller screen.

Native res 1600x1200, 25ms

http://www.samsungusa.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&prod_id=NB21BSAS

blade_of_narsil
05-19-2004, 07:33 PM
Dell UltraSharp 2001FP

I found a pair of these for $750 each off of http://www.bensbargains.net/.

I love em, thin edge, 4 inputs (easy to switch between), and then you gotta get some monitor arms (I think mine are Kensington) to save the desk space. There are a number of reviews out there for them.

Bob12
05-19-2004, 10:17 PM
The last two posts comment about portrait mode. I use my Sony 19" LCD it that mode almost exclusively. Long web pages have been mentioned, but word processing and many other applications really work well in this mode. About the only things I use landscape for anymore are photographs and some wide spreadsheets.

alanjrobertson
05-20-2004, 12:23 AM
Personally I'd recommend Iiyama monitors - my last 2 CRTs were from them, and I just bought a couple of ProLite E430 LCDs from them (1280x1024 native res, 16ms refresh) - very happy with them.

Only problem I'm having is that there's a UK shortage of the E431S - my LCDs are one model down and only have VGA input (no DVI) so I've got to use a DVI-VGA adapter to connect them - causes a bit of fuzziness on that panel. The one directly connected to VGA is fine so its not the monitor's fault.

They also do a 19" & 20-22" LCDs. All come with 3yr warranties I think. See http://www.iiyama.co.uk

Cheers

Alan

Wilbert
05-20-2004, 04:07 AM
Ok, I am a Dell person and I have a Dell 2001FP. The thing is AWSOME. It has Analog, DVI, S-Video, and Composite inputs. Plus it allows for 4 USB ports, and the quality and look is AMAZING. It has a true 16ms response, and not one dead pix! 8O

I was able to get mine for $700, and for a 20" with 1600x1200 is its a GREAT monitor. I do not know who makes this monitor, but I know the screen is made by LG. They went with a different company when making this monitor. There are several reviews on this monitor.

The 19" Dell and most of the other UltraSharps are made by Samsung.

If you want lots of inputs, USB, Slim Bezel, and one cool looking monitor go with the Dell 2001FP!

PS - The stand is height adjustable as well :wink:

Jason Dunn
05-20-2004, 05:17 PM
Ok, I am a Dell person and I have a Dell 2001FP. The thing is AWSOME.

Thanks, I'm leaning that way now. I'm gagging a bit on the cost though - the monitors are $1500 CAN each, and I need two, so that's $3000 CAN. Then I'll also need a new dual-DVI video card, so figure another $500 CAN. So all of a sudden I'm at $3500 CAN and thinking "Gee, these twin 17" LCDs aren't THAT bad..." :lol: Still pondering - thanks for the input!

Zack Mahdavi
05-21-2004, 07:24 AM
Ok, I am a Dell person and I have a Dell 2001FP. The thing is AWSOME.

Thanks, I'm leaning that way now. I'm gagging a bit on the cost though - the monitors are $1500 CAN each, and I need two, so that's $3000 CAN. Then I'll also need a new dual-DVI video card, so figure another $500 CAN. So all of a sudden I'm at $3500 CAN and thinking "Gee, these twin 17" LCDs aren't THAT bad..." :lol: Still pondering - thanks for the input!

Jason, I'm sure you know all of this already, but if you can, wait until Dell's awesome monitor deals happen. It seems like ever July, Dell really slashes prices on their monitors, plus they offer big discount coupons like 20% off. Also, sometimes, as seen on fatwallet.com, you can stack on another 10% off coupon.

So if you can wait a couple months, do so. You'll be able to monitor the Dell LCD prices and decide when it's the right time to buy.

Also, may I suggest the Dell Outlet? I've never bought an LCD through the outlet, but I've never been dissatisfied with a Dell Outlet purchase.

mrkablooey
05-21-2004, 01:05 PM
New 23" wide screen from HP (http://www.engadget.com/entry/9423187197574064/)

8O

Kacey Green
05-21-2004, 02:04 PM
where's that drool emote, what's the resolution on that guy?, and an extra couple grand for 3"?

blade_of_narsil
05-21-2004, 09:12 PM
deal alert - from www.bensbargains.net

I found the almost the same deal as before.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-1578

and us the code BVQNJDBZ3H4M4H for $30 off $400.

don't know how this translates into Canadian, eh, but its a good deal here. upgrade the screens now, and then in couple months your video card, these things have both inputs and swith back and forth quick. I got a pc on the VGA adapters and DVI coming off a couple of powerbooks. and then I am considering a straight feed from the satilite reciever into the s-video. that'll be fun in pip.

Jason Dunn
05-21-2004, 09:26 PM
Yup, Janak let me know about that and I just ordered my monitors!

WOO HOO!

Dell Canada couldn't honour the coupons directly, but they within about $100 USD, which was good enough for me. :-D