View Full Version : Connected Home: "A Cool Alternative to Media Center and TiVo"

Jason Dunn
05-12-2004, 09:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.connectedhomemag.com/HomeTheater/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=42656' target='_blank'>http://www.connectedhomemag.com/HomeTheater/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=42656</a><br /><br /></div>"Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (MCE) offers excellent digital video recording (DVR) functionality and an amazing "10-foot" UI that lets you interact with your computer as if it were a consumer electronics device. But there's one major problem: To get XP MCE, you have to purchase a new Media Center PC, which will set you back at least $1000. That's because Microsoft refuses to sell the MCE software—a decision I think is a big mistake. But for people wishing to get DVR functionality on their PC without spending $1000, rejoice: An inexpensive XP MCE alternative has arrived and, in some ways, it surpasses the Microsoft option. That alternative is called SnapStream Beyond TV 3. And if you're thinking "TiVo," think again: Beyond TV 3 also offers significant advances over that product. <br /><br />SnapStream entered the PVR market 4 years ago with its Personal Video Station product, renamed Beyond TV 3 for the most recent version, which shipped in early 2004. At its heart, Beyond TV 3 is a Windows-based software package that lets you record TV shows on your PC. But that's only the beginning: Where Beyond TV 3 really shines is in the ways you can consume that recorded TV content. Before I get to that, however, I want to step back a bit and take a look at what you need to do to make this all come together..."<br /><br />A great article about getting a PVR setup if you don't want to go the MCE route - worth the read!

Perry Reed
05-12-2004, 11:18 PM
I would love to use Media Center or Beyond TV or one of those, but I have DirecTV so all of those are essentially worthless. Yes, I have TiVo, which I LOVE, but it sure would be nice to have other options as well. Ideally, DirecTV would release a PC card that housed the satellite decoder and imaging hardware (and accepted the access card in the back of the slot) and then let the PC display the television.

I can't imagine that technically it would be so hard, and I would think that they'd be able to make it at least as hack-proof as the current systems. So why don't they do it??

that_kid
05-12-2004, 11:23 PM
I would love to use Media Center or Beyond TV or one of those, but I have DirecTV so all of those are essentially worthless.

I also have direct tv and I've been using snapstream with it ever since version 1. I even have 2 dedicated direct tv boxes just for snapstream. One box is active the other is waiting for multiple tuner support. I am using a serial interface to control my rca box from the computer. It's a great setup.

Perry Reed
05-12-2004, 11:27 PM
I would love to use Media Center or Beyond TV or one of those, but I have DirecTV so all of those are essentially worthless.

I also have direct tv and I've been using snapstream with it ever since version 1. I even have 2 dedicated direct tv boxes just for snapstream. One box is active the other is waiting for multiple tuner support. I am using a serial interface to control my rca box from the computer. It's a great setup.

Huh, I didn't know that would work. But I guess for the DVR you're recording the digitized analog signal, right? Not bad, but I like that my TiVo records the original digital signal, as-is. Still, it's good to know that there are ways to do it. I wonder if using the serial input works on all DirecTV boxes or just some of them...

that_kid
05-13-2004, 02:59 AM
Yeah te one reason I would like to record the straight digital signal is so I can get the dolby digital track. The picture quality is very good but I need 5.1 to complete the package.