View Full Version : Telescopes and Cameras

flooder
04-29-2004, 01:33 PM
This is a little off topic but . . .

Anyone have any advice or experience concerning amateur telescopes? I think I am interested in getting a telescope. I am willing to pay some coin for quality. At this point I don't even know where to begin. One constraint that I would have is that I would like to be able to take pictures through it.

Any experience out there?

Bob12
04-29-2004, 04:39 PM
I'd consider the Meade ETX 90 or ETX 125 (90mm or 125mm primary). I haven't paid any attention to the prices lately but I have the 125 and paid $1000 for it about three years ago. They are both compact reflector scopes with very good optics and available computer locator/guide systems. They can also be driven with PDAs and notebooks, as well as desktop PCs with appropriate software and interface cables. They will both accept a variety of camera interfaces as well.

Lee Yuan Sheng
04-29-2004, 05:22 PM
What camera are you using? I'm assuming you'll be doing astrophotography?

Suhit Gupta
04-29-2004, 07:34 PM
I think he means that he wants to buy a camera as well, right?

Suhit

flooder
04-30-2004, 05:01 PM
What camera are you using? I'm assuming you'll be doing astrophotography?

I guess that would be important question to answer. :lol:

I have an SLR. I'll probably get the Minolta dSLR when it comes out this fall. All my lenses are on the Minolta mount.

Lee Yuan Sheng
05-02-2004, 09:41 AM
Well, from what little I know, telescopes tend to be poor for anything else other than astrophotography, and if you're going to be doing deep space astrophotography you might need one of those fancy motorised telescope mounts.

You'll need a T-mount for your Minolta SLR as well, before you can mount the camera to the telescope.