View Full Version : When a Product Becomes a Platform

Jason Dunn
04-28-2004, 03:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.jakeludington.com/archives/000110.html' target='_blank'>http://www.jakeludington.com/archives/000110.html</a><br /><br /></div>"I'm still a huge evangelist for the Rio Karma. At its price point, the Karma is, in my opinion, the best hard disk portable media player on the market. But that's all it is, a media player. What makes me envious of the iPod is its status as a consumer electronic device platform. With the Karma, I might add a better set of headphones, but I'm never going to add any functionality unless Rio includes it in a firmware upgrade. The iPod is different. It offers both software and hardware functionality I can only dream of getting from another device.<br /><br />Take the Digital Camera Link from Belkin for instance. With this device, iPod users simply connect their iPod to any digital camera and transfer photos from the flash card to the iPod's hard drive. If the camera gets full while you are out in the field, this is a great solution for archiving pictures before taking more. Where is the camera link for my Karma? I can use the Karma as a mass storage device, so in theory, something like this should be possible. The list of cool software add-ons for the iPod is too long to review in its entirety: calendar info, tasks, contacts, and on and on..."<br /><br />This editorial from Jake Ludington touches on an interesting phenomenon: when a product achieves mass-market success, entire industries spring up around it, almost without any intentional effort on the part of the original vendor.

ctmagnus
04-28-2004, 04:23 AM
I was recently considering an FM transmitter and noticed Belkin's lineup of iPod accessories. 8O It's huge!

Gary Sheynkman
04-28-2004, 04:29 AM
Yup, that makes sense. I remember when PPC first started to crop up almost all software was free and addons such as SD Bluetooth and SD cameras were not even hear off. It is a good thing for the ipod, but it takes business away from products that might be a better platform to begin with (karma, iriver ihp)

Suhit Gupta
04-28-2004, 04:47 AM
Well, so I clearly see his point, but is he simply saying that the iPod now has more accessories than any other music player? I find this to be fairly obvious given that it owns a large market share.

Suhit

phillypocket
04-28-2004, 03:41 PM
Isn't this the kind of "platform" that Archos' products have always provided? Of course with color, bigger screen, lower price...