View Full Version : New Internet Speed Record

Suhit Gupta
04-26-2004, 06:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-5195614.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=news' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-5195614.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=news</a><br /><br /></div>"Researchers have set a data transmission record over the Internet2's high-speed backbone. The record, announced Tuesday at the Spring 2004 Internet2 member meeting in Arlington, Va., was for transmitting data over nearly 11,000 kilometers at an average speed of 6.25 gigabits per second. This is nearly 10,000 times faster than a typical home broadband connection. The network link used to set the record reaches from Los Angeles to Geneva, Switzerland.<br /><br />Internet2 is a consortium of more than 200 universities working with industry and government to develop next-generation Internet technology. The Internet2's contest, which began in 2000, is open and ongoing, and it tests researchers' ability to build the highest-bandwidth, end-to-end Internet Protocol network."<br /><br />The record was set by researchers at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) and the Geneva-based CERN. They did this using IPv4, the current system internet addressing system. Some of you may remember that the same group had set a record earlier by transferring 4 Gbps using IPv6. Oh, imagine the possibilities. With research like this, I guess I will soon be able to stream a DVD off of Jason's machine (while he is in Calgary and I am in NYC) while in a high definition video conference with him, simultaneously 8-). Ok, maybe not that soon.

possmann
04-26-2004, 06:30 PM
Very cool - but what happens when thousands of people are online? This looks like a point to point - I'm not knocking it - it is a huge improvement... but I guess I'd like to see what real-world results would be given this newer technology...

Mojo Jojo
04-26-2004, 08:32 PM
Sounds very cool, but I am with possman. Controlled enviroment and lots of money to make it happen. We don't even have stable DSL or good quality cable internet in my area yet so I won't be holding my breath (but at least still day dreaming)