View Full Version : HD TiVo Begins Shipping

Jason Dunn
04-24-2004, 09:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1572712,00.asp?kc=ETRSS02129TX1K0000532' target='_blank'>http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1572712,00.asp?kc=ETRSS02129TX1K0000532</a><br /><br /></div>"Representatives at TiVo Inc. on Friday said that the high-definition version of TiVo, sold through The DirecTV Group Inc., has finally begun shipping. In January, TiVo, Santa Clara, said that the DirecTV HD DVR would ship by the end of the first quarter. The box contains a 250-Gyte hard disk drive capable of storing 30 hours of high-definition video, and is priced at $999, according to a TiVo representative."<br /><br />Have I mentioned how frustrating it is that I can't get real TiVo service in Canada? :?

Mike Temporale
04-24-2004, 09:10 PM
Have I mentioned how frustrating it is that I can't get real TiVo service in Canada? :?

I hear ya! I've been itching to get a good PVR for a couple years now. :cry: I really want a set-top unit, but it's starting to look like I will have to buy a Media Centre, or drop some serious coin on StarChoice's upcoming PVR.

OSUKid7
04-24-2004, 09:36 PM
I'm pretty happy with my new Time Warner DVR. Love that it can record two shows at once, and save a show at the end even if you didn't start "recording" at the beginning. Not the best OSD design, but it's alright. I'm glad to hear companies are finally starting to develop HD boxes.

BTW, what quality does it save the HD shows in? I mean, is it lossless, or does it cut it down to NTSC mode, just in 16:9 proportion?

edit: after re-reading the first post, it sounds like it's real HD mode (250GB for 30 hours), but I'm not sure. Also, at the ExtremeTech source, it says TiVo announced the dual-tuner HD TiVo unit in January at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
:) :) Awesome. Now, wonder if any companies will try to add a third tuner in there ;) lol.

Jason Dunn
04-24-2004, 09:39 PM
...or drop some serious coin on StarChoice's upcoming PVR.

What's that going to be? Tell me more...

Jonathon Watkins
04-24-2004, 10:21 PM
So is this for high-definition TVs? Is that service up and running yet?

Mike Temporale
04-24-2004, 11:29 PM
...or drop some serious coin on StarChoice's upcoming PVR.

What's that going to be? Tell me more...

here's a quote from the April 2003 press release:
In Q1 2004, Star Choice will release the Motorola DSR 530. This dual tuner receiver will allow Star Choice customers to simultaneously watch and digitally record programming, even HDTV content. It also
has an enhanced onscreen program guide with interactive features so viewers will always know what’s on when. No receiver in the market comes close to these capabilities.

You can read all the press releases here (http://www.starchoice.ca/english/aboutus/mediainformation/default.asp).

I was talking with a Customer Service guy a month ago when I moved and he indicated that it's going to be a couple months late. But it should be out before the end of Q2.

wesk
04-25-2004, 06:11 AM
Beyond TV now supports Canadian TV listing.

http://www.snapstream.com

Wes

popabawa
04-26-2004, 08:52 AM
Have I mentioned how frustrating it is that I can't get real TiVo service in Canada?

I share your pain brother!

I'm in the UK and love my series 1 TiVo but I'd more than happy to pay someone quite a lot of £££'s for a series 2 device but no-one's showing the slightest interest in the UK market despite having a reasonably large & very enthusiatic user base.

If TiVo were still available in the UK, I'd have sold 5-6 devices on recommendation alone.

The wannabe-TiVo PVR's just don't cut the mustard.

Iain.

Suhit Gupta
04-26-2004, 02:13 PM
I'm pretty happy with my new Time Warner DVR. Love that it can record two shows at once, and save a show at the end even if you didn't start "recording" at the beginning. Not the best OSD design, but it's alright. I'm glad to hear companies are finally starting to develop HD boxes.
Actually, I believe that Time Warner already has an HD version of the DVR box and has had it for several months now, in case you are interested.

Suhit

Perry Reed
04-28-2004, 06:35 PM
I have two DirecTV/TiVo boxes and have been waiting for ages for one that would also do HDTV. Up until now, if you're on DirecTV you could get TiVo or HDTV, but not both.

And now they have it... and I can't afford the outrageous $999 price tag.

I sure hope the price drops quickly.

James Fee
04-28-2004, 06:46 PM
Same here. I so want it, but a divorce would result if it showed up.

I can't use any other DVR than a TiVo. Name-based recording is so important, I have no idea how others can use a DVR without it.