View Full Version : In the Market for a Digital Camera

gorf
04-23-2004, 03:05 PM
In a previous post I mentioned that I have/had a Kodak LS433 and had the lens open up inside the case and make a mess of the servo / gear mechanism. I called the local camera shop yesterday and my worse fears have been realized......he figures it will be a 4 to 6 week repair where they will replace the entire lens system for about a $225 bill.

Ugh...the damn camera isnt even a year old yet...talk about your disposable technology. One unwanted power up and the camera is garbage.

Anyway.....if trying to convince Kodak I shouldnt be held responsible doesnt work...or if my name doesnt get picked for one of the great DMT prizes......Im gonna need another camera.

Whats a good value for a 4 - 5mp Camera in the $300-$400 price range?

Lee Yuan Sheng
04-23-2004, 03:34 PM
The difference between 3 and 4 megapixel isn't big.. and there are some nice 3 megapixel cameras out there.

What'll you be using the camera for?

backpackerx
04-23-2004, 03:59 PM
I find the Canon powershot A series to be a good bang for the buck. The A70 is really cheap online now ($230) and the new A75 is nice but I think just improves some form factor stuff. Also the A80 has gotten good reviews.

gorf
04-23-2004, 04:04 PM
What'll you be using the camera for?

Mostly general pic taking....family gatherings...holiday...vacations...that sort of stuff.

Im setting the min resolution at 4mp because I believe that to be a starting point where an 8.5 X 11 print is available.

Plus..im trying to buy alittle more camera than I need so that I might be able to grow into it

backpackerx
04-23-2004, 04:10 PM
Then I'd seriously consider something like the A80 from Canon. It is 4MP and has full manual controls so you can do simple Auto or get a little creative. Canon is known for lens quality and the image quality on this camera has been reviewed well. There are cheaper 4MP out there but for the features and quality it's hard to beat the Powershot series.

I did some major research before I chose my A70 and from everything I've read, the A80 is a great camera too.

I've seen it for $320 to $350 online

Lee Yuan Sheng
04-23-2004, 04:22 PM
Well, there's also the olympus C5000.

Nikon doesn't have anything within your budget.

Fuji I think the S5000 makes it, but barely.

Canon there is the A75 as well as the A80.

Minolta I'm not sure if they're still selling the F100 and F300.

Jason Dunn
04-23-2004, 04:32 PM
FWIW, you can do a nice 8x10 from a 3 MP image. I've done them from 2 MP images, although that was a stretch.

gorf
04-24-2004, 05:26 AM
Sweet...thanks guys!

Had a conversation with Kodak this afternoon. As long as I can provide them with information that the Camera is less than a year old...they are footing the bill for this repair. Im 99% positive I wont be getting the camera I sent them back....but wow...Im impressed. Really didnt think they would play it this way.

Customer Service ISNT dead after all!

Color me...suprised! 8O