View Full Version : Sony Connect Online Music Service

gibb193a
04-22-2004, 10:37 PM
When I first heard about this today, my first thought was AAC or WMA? I should have guessed that Sony would come up with something else (Memory Stick, anyone?). I found out later that they will be using ATRAC3plus. :evil:

With the ubiquitous iPod and everyone else using WMA, I'm not sure how successful this venture is going to be...

Gary Sheynkman
04-23-2004, 04:26 AM
Sony isnt the only company to follow in Apple's footsteps. There are a bunch of companies that are cropping up with these programs but they face stiff competition from a well-oiled iTunes-iPod system

Zack Mahdavi
05-07-2004, 06:50 AM
Is Sony releasing this in Japan as well? If they release this music service in East Asia, it will TAKE off... the abundance of MiniDisc players in Asia is amazing, even though Apple is selling their iPods like crazy there.

Philip Colmer
05-07-2004, 04:36 PM
When I first heard about this today, my first thought was AAC or WMA? I should have guessed that Sony would come up with something else (Memory Stick, anyone?). I found out later that they will be using ATRAC3plus. :evil:

I think that is a bit harsh towards Sony, given that they had players out in the market that used ATRAC long before Apple launched the AAC-playing iPOD.

I mean, it isn't as if the iPOD can play any other format, is it? So in that respect they aren't any better or worse than Sony, are they?

--Philip