View Full Version : Any thoughts on the Powershot S1 IS?

Prometheus
04-19-2004, 01:21 PM
I am looking to get a new digital camera and I have searched through several review sites and camera shops (and fended off over-eager salespeople). I have found that the Powershot S1 IS could probably fill my need as a serious amatuer (or semi-pro wannabe) and I just wanted to know what you guys think. It is cheaper than a digital SLR, but CDN$700 on the average is still a very big investment so I would like to have as many opinions as possible.

Thanks!

Lee Yuan Sheng
04-19-2004, 03:51 PM
If you don't need an external flash, it'll do very nicely. Can't fault its features. Oh, 10x zoom lenses tend to be a bit of a compromise, that's another thing you'll have to see if it affects you.

Jason Dunn
04-19-2004, 04:45 PM
I haven't had a chance to look at the S1 IS, but it looks very nice - one thing to keep in mind as a "reality check" for the big 10x zoom is that it will only be useful in well-lit scenarios. Without an external flash (heck, even WITH one) if you're a full zoom away from your subject, it's hard to light that up properly.

But for outdoor photos, the 10x will no doubt ROCK. :way to go:

Lee Yuan Sheng
04-19-2004, 05:10 PM
Well, hey, with a 550EX it wouldn't be that big a problem! ;)

Then again, at 380mm I won't be using it indoors..

Prometheus
04-19-2004, 07:02 PM
Well, I already kind of figured that the flash will not be usefull at 10x :D The image stabilizer is a feature that made this camera extra tempting....there are a lot of situations where there is just not enough time to set up a tripod. I wish I had a chance to test drive the thing...hmmm...I should start asking the stores what their return policies are. :D

Cheers!

Suhit Gupta
04-19-2004, 08:20 PM
Well, I already kind of figured that the flash will not be usefull at 10x :D The image stabilizer is a feature that made this camera extra tempting....there are a lot of situations where there is just not enough time to set up a tripod. I wish I had a chance to test drive the thing...hmmm...I should start asking the stores what their return policies are. :D
See if you can rent it, you might be able to check it out for a few hours that way. Where are you located BTW?

Suhit

Prometheus
04-19-2004, 09:15 PM
See if you can rent it, you might be able to check it out for a few hours that way. Where are you located BTW?

Suhit

Hmm...I never considered that they might allow that. No harm in asking I suppose. I am located in Toronto btw.

Cheers!