View Full Version : Basic Video Capture Questions

fitzner
04-15-2004, 07:43 PM
:lol: I'm new on this forum and so I am not sure this is the correct subject so bare with me.

First at my church I video tape Bible classes and then capture to edit. I am using a 1995 Pinnacle software/hardware that they do not sell anymore. My computer is updated from a os95 to os98se with ram of 198. The program options is set up to capture only 45 min at a time. So I usually have P1 and P2. I edit with premier. All in all it comes out very good for computer viewing. I later use Roxio 6 and made it a vcd for tv and this comes out really good.

I would like to get a capture card but do not want to spend alot of money and I assume the software comes with it.

I am going to purchase the program "Muvees" and then use the software for the video.

Can someone help out with Pinnace what is reasonable or where else.

Harry

Jason Dunn
04-15-2004, 11:33 PM
Welcome to DMT! :-) I moved your post into a new thread because it's a new topic. ;-) I need some further info before I can give you suggestions...

First at my church I video tape Bible classes and then capture to edit.

How do capture the video? What type of camera do you use? Analogue camcorder, MiniDV (digital), or other?

I am using a 1995 Pinnacle software/hardware that they do not sell anymore. My computer is updated from a os95 to os98se with ram of 198. The program options is set up to capture only 45 min at a time.

Things have changed a lot since then. First off, if you capture the video to an NTFS formatted hard drive partition instead of FAT, you won't have the time/file limit you have now - you can capture the whole thing to one file.

I would like to get a capture card but do not want to spend alot of money and I assume the software comes with it.

This is the part that confuses me: if your current system is working well for you, why do you want a new capture card? ie: what do you want to accomplish? Better quality? Faster workflow? Some more info would be helpful...

I am going to purchase the program "Muvees" and then use the software for the video.

It's a great program, but be sure to download the demo first to make sure it will do what you want - I don't think it would be well suited to a bible class, unless you wanted a "highlight" reel put to music.

fitzner
04-16-2004, 02:27 PM
:o Thanks for answering my questions so soon. I took notes so I will try to answer you questions.

First, what I do at the church has no bearing on what I want with my computer. At the church just got me interested in doing this for a home business.

What is a NTFS formatted HD?

The capture card would be for my home computer.
My computer is:
win98se
Genuintel Intell (r) Celeram (tm) Processor
192 mb of ram
I think about 386 mgaHertz cashe speed

I do have the demo for muvee and it works very well for this computer

I have two hd's one 4gb and one 20 gb

Now, i presently do slide shows using "Pictures to exe" www.wnsoft.com

It is a very good windows based program but you do all the work and I have very good success with it.
I just like the ease and simplicity of muvee.

So, I want to invest in a capture card for my computer and process other peoples digital footage. I do not personally own a digital camera so I would use the chruches digital camera. The exact sony model eludes me now but I can get it if you need to know. All I do know is that it is fully loaded with all sorts of whistles and bells for a little camera.

It would not use muvee for bible classes at all as I tried taking home a avi file home and using this and the muvee program did not look good at all and I really understand why.

This is only for home. I dont have alot money as I am a heart patient with bypass surgery and on a disability monthly allotment. But I would like to supplement my disability and bring in some extra money.
Harry 8)

Jason Dunn
04-17-2004, 01:08 AM
What is a NTFS formatted HD?

NTFS is a type of formatting on a hard drive - FAT, FAT32, NTFS, etc. Since I've learned you're using Windows 98, it's a moot point - you need to stick with FAT32 and can't use NTFS. One reason to upgrade to Windows XP if possible, but based on your computer specs, you'd need a whole new computer. More on NTFS found here: http://aumha.org/win5/a/ntfs.php

So, I want to invest in a capture card for my computer and process other peoples digital footage. I do not personally own a digital camera so I would use the chruches digital camera. The exact sony model eludes me now but I can get it if you need to know. All I do know is that it is fully loaded with all sorts of whistles and bells for a little camera.

It sounds like your church may have a digital video camera, in which case all you need is a Firewire card to transfer the video to your computer:

http://www.adstech.com/products/PYRO1394DV/intro/API1394intro.asp?pid=API-1394PCI

If you want to digitize analog footage from VHS tapes or older camcorders, you'll need something that will help you to capture the footage:

http://www.adstech.com/products/USBAV702/intro/usb702intro.asp?pid=USBAV702

Hope that helps!

fitzner
04-17-2004, 02:34 AM
:D Hey, thank you for the helpful web sites. I will save them and study them! The church does have a capture card, an old one from Pinnacle 1995 but it works great. There computer is a mirror of mine. Actually their computer was os95 and I made it a 98 and then a 98se. I could do all my capturing this summer with the digital camera. I already have a svhs wired to the capture card.

Harry

Jason Dunn
04-17-2004, 10:47 PM
Glad I could help!