View Full Version : Resolution - printing

jbeselt
04-05-2004, 12:59 AM
Hello.
I just purchased a canon digital rebel 300D camera. I really like it. I enjoy being able to take photos quickly, compared with my canon e200 digital elph. When I purchased my elph 2 years ago, the sales person told me that I would be able to print 5x7 and 8-10 prints with this 2.1 MP camera. However even on the 3x5 inch photos, I can see the difference between those taken on my digital elph and my canon rebel G.
I want to keep this camera for a long time and don't plan to upgrade for at least 5 years.
This camera is 6.3 megapixels. What size of prints can I expect to have the quality that I get from my analogue canon rebel G?
Thanks

Jason Dunn
04-05-2004, 07:41 AM
Ultimately the only one who can judge this is yourself. I'd suggest taking a great picture and going to www.ofoto.com or a local printing service, then getting various sizes printed and what your eyes tell you is the answer. ;-)

My hunch is that you'll see everything up to 11" x 13" looking great, but above that at 16" x 20" you may start to see some pixellation. There are some resolution bump resizing tools you can try (I bought one, but I'm drawing a blank right now at what it's called) but ultimately there are limits to how far you can do with it.

Littleshmee
04-16-2004, 05:39 PM
Most professional dye sublimation printers print at 300 dpi, which is considered to be "photo quality" (to the best of my knowledge). With a 6.3 megapixel camera, 300 dpi brings you up to 10" x 13.5" - and that will be maximum quality. Any dpi higher than 300 is sort of pointless, because you're being limited by the printer, and if it's a little bit lower, it's still going to look pretty good.

Bob12
04-16-2004, 09:01 PM
I printed a 6.3mp picture (EOS D60) on 11x14 photo paper with an HP deskjet 2500C and the results were very good. I don't think the quality equalled my Photosmart 7550 but then, it won't print that big.