View Full Version : Does anyone burn VCDs from their miniDV footage?

backpackerx
03-28-2004, 07:25 AM
I'd like a way (preferably freeware) to burn my miniDV videos onto a VCD or SVCD to view in my DVD player as I don't yet have a DVD burner.

Secondary question: I'm not getting the miniDV cam until Monday so what format is MiniDV video? Is it just miniDV or is it a type of .mpg or .avi?
Thanks for helping out a digital video newbie.

backpackerx
03-28-2004, 07:55 AM
Ok, this might be a moot point because I'm supposed to get Pinnacle studio 8SE with the camera which I *think* lets you burn VCD's. Any other programs you know of would also be helpful though as well as anyone who has 8SE and can say for sure.

Thanks

Jason Dunn
03-29-2004, 04:35 PM
I have Studio 8 and it allows me to burn to VCD and SVCD - if 8 SE has it, it will be an output option on the right-most tab. I think you found it. ;-)

When you pull the video off your MiniDV camera, it will be in AVI format, commonly called DV-AVI. It's a regular AVI format that has mild compression (about 5 to 1) at 720 x 480 resolution (if you're NTSC land) and a high bit rate for quality. Once you have that DV-AVI file on your computer, that's when the fun starts. :-)

backpackerx
03-29-2004, 07:44 PM
Perfect. That answers a lot of questions. I'm currently sitting here waiting for the UPS guy to make his delivery! I'm interested in comparing the quality from my Hi-8 camera to this one.

Littleshmee
04-19-2004, 05:11 AM
Hey hey,

I've been fooling around with VCD's from miniDV for the past week or so, and I've learned a few things...

First off, not all mpeg encoders are created equal. I've never tried pinnacle, but I know that the all-in-one programs that I tried (WinDVD, Powerdirector) had much worse quality than less user friendly programs.

I ended up using TMPGenc to encode the DV-AVI to mpeg, and then I used VCDeasy to make a vcd with menus and chapters and all that fun stuff.

Also, if you want to put less than half an hour or so of footage on a disc, consider SVCD (mpeg2). The difference in quality is huge.

Finally, the best site I found to answer pretty much any question (it also has a bunch of free or trial software available to download) is http://www.dvdrhelp.com/