View Full Version : Canon i960

Macguy59
03-28-2004, 01:36 AM
Was at Best Buy today (imagine that :lol: ) to look at the i960. I liked the photo quality and the individual ink tanks. I couldn't really tell print speed as they were printing direct from a camera for the test shots I brought with me. I also was not crazy about having to rely on the camera or computer to provide the print source. I like having a built-in card reader on the printer. For those of you that have this printer, can you verify their stated print speed of 37 seconds for a 4x6? What kind of actual ink life are you getting? Thanks.

dartman
03-28-2004, 03:02 PM
I've had the I960 for a couple months now. It's a great printer. I haven't actually timed it but the 37 seconds quoted is probably about right.

I always end up cropping or editing my photos then printing from the computer so I haven't missed the direct camera printing at all. I have a Canon D Rebel but I transfer all the photos from an external CF card reader to the computer. I never tried to hook the camera up directly to the printer. If I was a better photographer, I might try direct printing.

I love the dual sheet feeders so I can print the 4x6's by just turning a dial.

The Photo Cyan and Photo Magenta get used up at least twice as fast as most of the others.

I've owned 2 other Hp photo printers and an Epson or 2. (None of the current models.) This is by far the best photo printer I've had.

dart

Macguy59
03-28-2004, 03:24 PM
Thanks for sharing :)

Lee Yuan Sheng
03-28-2004, 05:50 PM
Hey dartman, how long have the photos lasted before they started fading? There's been some whining by Canon users that the Canon inks fade damn quick, but I'd like to hear a more objective viewpoint.

Jason Dunn
03-29-2004, 07:35 PM
I own an i950, and it's a great printer - same engine as the i960, but it lacks the 4x6 feeder (which is a shame, that sounds cool!). 4x6 images in 30 seconds or so sounds about right, unless the printer does it's "I'm warming up now for 60 seconds" dance, which is rare. In terms of ink fading, I don't have any prints that are older than a year (I think that's how long I've had the printer), so it's impossible to say. But if people are complaining about prints fading after a few months, then no, I haven't seen that. I don't have any photos exposed to direct sunlight though - I tend to put them away from windows - so perhaps I'm not being torturous enough. ;-)

dartman
03-29-2004, 08:20 PM
Hey dartman, how long have the photos lasted before they started fading? There's been some whining by Canon users that the Canon inks fade damn quick, but I'd like to hear a more objective viewpoint.

I've only had the printer since December so I haven't noticed any fading.

I found an interesting site about the topic.

http://www.livick.com/method/inkjet/pg2d.htm

Covers lots of printers, paper, and ink combinations.

dart