View Full Version : DVD -> DivX

Kati Compton
03-26-2004, 04:55 PM
I'd like to convert some DVDs of mine (purchased) to DivX for viewing on my laptop when I travel.

What software programs do you recommend for this process (rippers/encoders/etc)?

Suhit Gupta
03-26-2004, 05:04 PM
Are you looking for free tools or something professional?

Suhit

Kati Compton
03-26-2004, 05:05 PM
Free. I just want to watch a movie on my laptop a couple times a year. Nothing serious. But I'm also looking for good compression/quality.

Jason Dunn
03-26-2004, 05:30 PM
http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/index.php?topic_id=4933

Kati Compton
03-26-2004, 05:52 PM
I saw that. But I was wondering what people have actually *used*. Testimonials. ;) I also am confused by the various codecs that can be used with it...

Jason Dunn
03-26-2004, 05:54 PM
I saw that. But I was wondering what people have actually *used*. Testimonials. ;) I also am confused by the various codecs that can be used with it...

Hey, you learn by doing right? ;-) Give it a try and let US know how it works - that's two-way community. :D

What codec options are you given? I haven't installed it, but I didn't think there would be more than on DiVX codec listed...

Kati Compton
03-26-2004, 06:02 PM
Hey, you learn by doing right? ;-) Give it a try and let US know how it works - that's two-way community. :D
Okay - I'll put it on my to-do list for...let's see... September. :P

What codec options are you given? I haven't installed it, but I didn't think there would be more than on DiVX codec listed...
Different versions of the same codec, actually, and I think there were other links as well, but less prominent. I'll take a look when I have time. This was on the web site.

In the meantime, if anyone has suggestions, I'd still be interested in reading them.

ShinKen
03-26-2004, 08:26 PM
Check out Doom9 DivX, XviD DVD Backup Guides (http://www.doom9.org), that should point you in the right direction.

Later

Lee Yuan Sheng
03-26-2004, 08:48 PM
This is as much as a question as it is a suggestion; is anyone using Flask to do the conversion? (haven't ripped DVDs for errm, a couple years now)

backpackerx
03-28-2004, 07:31 AM
Assuming you have the Divx Codec and an Mp3 codec the easiest way BY FAR that I've found is to rip the DVD into one big VOB file using CladDVD (free) and then convert it to DivX with VirtualDubMod (free) based on the original VirtualDub by Avery Lee. Go to www.clonead.co.uk for a great guide to this.

Oh, one other thing. You do have to have the .NET framework installed but that site has everything you need.

backpackerx
03-28-2004, 07:39 AM
I guess I should clarify this a little. This is by far the easiest way to do it outside of an all in one program (which usually isn't free) AFTER you've done it once. I admit, I had to do a lot of reading about some of the settings to use for conversion etc. But now I can rip and convert a DVD to DivX in about 5 minutes of user input for the settings and then I just let the computer do the conversion which takes hours.

Lee Yuan Sheng
03-28-2004, 07:49 AM
Ahh, backpackerx, you just reminded me of the one step I missed when I asked my question. Now, where's the darn ripper? It should be somewhere on my disk drive..

backpackerx
03-28-2004, 07:52 AM
What step? You mean the actual ripping? That's kindof a big step eh? :D

Kati Compton
03-29-2004, 06:40 PM
BTW - I found a good comparison of various vido codecs:

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/codecs-203-1.htm

Lee Yuan Sheng
03-29-2004, 06:43 PM
heh yea. :oops: very big step. shows you how often I rip. :oops:

popabawa
04-08-2004, 03:06 PM
Another thumbs up for the guides and recommended tools at www.clonad.co.uk :D

Very easy to use and surprisingly quick. Sweet!

Iian.

hang5lngbd
04-16-2004, 05:37 PM
I use Free DVD Decrypter and Nero Encoder (which isn't free.) Nero Encoder is part of the Nero package and is a really easy way to make MPEG4 video files from a UNCOPYPROTECTED DVD. It uses the DVD codec.
Because NERO is legit I have to decrypt the DVD first using DVD Decrypter.