View Full Version : Will sony ever learn?!?!?!

rzanology
03-25-2004, 08:18 PM
Okay...so its no secret that sony makes some nice stuff, they've been at it for yeears. One of their products i have been extremely happy with is the dsc-t1. That camera made it to my all star line up. By that i mean, the few devices that i always keep on my belt (or the bat man utility belt my friends would say...) Thats my z600, the 2215, the damn blackberry and now my dsc-t1. But...the biggest down fall, and to me has become a huuuuge down fall, is the fact that this thing uses memory stick. WHAT THE HELL IS A MEMORY STICK!!!! With my previous cameras, be it CF or SD, the beauty of it was, i could just take the card out the camera, load it up on the ipaq and reduce the size a bit, and e-mail it riight off to some one. Now...i have to wait till i get home to do any of the above. THAT IS KILLING ME MAAAN!!! :( And the say i go out and buy a clie will be the day microsoft becomes open source! Come on sony...get with the program!

Raven
03-25-2004, 08:30 PM
I hear ya man. I returned my Clie TH55 after about a week since I realised I didn't want to invest money in yet another card format.

Still, there are a lot of folks who are "Sony People". Their home theater system, laptop, PDA, DVD player, digital camera etc are all Sony products. For them the "no brainer" decision when it comes to buying a new flash card is probably a bigger boon than they realise. :wink:

For me, I have to decide on what I want to invest in first: more pictures for Canon camera (CF), more space for software on my iPaq (SD) or more music on my old Nomad IIc (SM).

JR
03-25-2004, 11:31 PM
I agree. All of my home electronics are Sony (stereo, TV, DVD Player, VCR, even my alarm clocks) so I'm obviously a fan. But their use of memory stick has taken them out of consideration for any of my latest purchases (digital camera and digital video camera). Moving forward, I'll be more inclined to look elsewhere (i.e. when it's time for the new TV).

I don't know if this "feature" has proven lucrative for Sony or not. Maybe. But for me it's a strike against.

Crocuta
03-26-2004, 04:52 AM
I also have two Sony digital cameras and one Sony camcorder, all of which use memory sticks. I just figure that I'd need separate CF or SD cards for each anyway, so it really doesn't bother me. But then I don't ever want to move a photo directly from my camera into my Pocket PC (also a 2215). It's just not how I work. If I did, then that would be a problem. Here's a possible solution for you... a memory stick to CF adapter that will let you read your memory sticks in your 2215. It won't relieve your aggravation at having another standard to worry about, but it might get you back in business.

http://www.memoryx.net/ts0mms2cf.html

Gary Sheynkman
03-26-2004, 06:09 AM
yes memory stick suck....but look at it this way: If i have a sony digital camera, camcorder, pda, computer, and tv i can use my memstick with any device....eh?

rzanology
03-26-2004, 05:01 PM
Hey crocuta, I see your work around. Im usualy happy with a simple work around, but one more point. When I went out looking for a memory stick duo pro (which is damn near impossible to find) I ended up buying a memory stick duo ( which means I can't get the 30 fps on my t1 :( ) The thing that made me smile was the fact that an adapter came with the card. It was a memory stick duo to memory stick adapter. Now...some of us could say "well atlease they put the adapter in there," but to me the fact that they included it tells me that they know they are screwing up and just trying not to create waves. But any who....i'll just buy your suggestion and be happy :) . Who knows...maybe Sony's strategy my work for other people (Microsoft) Imagine the next windows being released with 2 service packs and its ooown virus??? :)

DrtyBlvd
04-07-2004, 05:44 PM
My solution FWIW is to use a CF/MS expansion paq on the 'paq... and a PCMCIA multi adapter for the laptop.

Also, just found this: http://www.vtec.co.uk/product/103_635.asp - a 6-in-1 card reader portable hard disk drive - 8O

David Prahl
04-08-2004, 03:45 AM
The premise behind the MS (which was one of the first flash memory formats) is that you can swap data between all of your Sony devices. I've only seen ONE person that actually owns enough Sony gear for that to happen, though.

I agree - Sony should kill the MS and go for a combo CF/SD slot.

Lee Yuan Sheng
04-08-2004, 07:50 AM
Kill MS? And lose a cash cow? Nope, that's so not Sony. Sony knows they're one of the few companies that can set a standard all by themselves, that's why they're doing it. Mind you, they're pretty successful. Not just among the techies, nerds, and geeks, but especially among the high-spending yuppies who are willing to pay a 100% premium on Sony products just for the style.

DrtyBlvd
04-08-2004, 09:04 AM
I think the F828 was more than a milestone, it was a waypoint - the combination of CF & MS; It can't have been a big discussion, but it sure was a big decision.

Gary Sheynkman
04-12-2004, 04:31 AM
too bad the the reported noise due to the F828s poor match of sensor and lens :cry:

Andy Manea
04-16-2004, 09:58 PM
Will Sony ever learn? Will consumers ever learn? I would never buy anything that uses MS, but even when people ask me for my opinion and I warn them of the evil MS, they won't listen. As long as they don't listen, Sony won't see a reason to change anything. It's all in the consumers' hands.