View Full Version : What do you think about special lenses for a digital camera??

js415
03-24-2004, 01:37 AM
Ok, right up front I am going to say that I really do not think any special lenses would be that important for my camera.

I am thinking about UV filters, polarizers, specials effects lenses, etc., etc.

HOWEVER, because I am sort of anal about having gadgets for my toys :lol: , I cant help but look at a few nice accessories.

What do you folks think. Anybody use any, or find that you can/can not live without a certain lens?

Lets here what you think.

thanks,

Jerry

Gary Sheynkman
03-24-2004, 01:44 AM
for outdoor shots where there is lots of glare, polarizers are nice...but dont get cought up with the things though.

Bob12
03-24-2004, 03:49 AM
My two current lenses for my Canon EOS D60 are a 20-35 and 35-350. Both have skylight filters on them. I've considered polarizing filters but haven't taken the plunge yet. Neither lens is digital specific but I don't find that an issue - considering the results through them. However, all that being said, I have a Canon EOS-1D Mark II on order along with a 17-40 lens which is designed with digital cameras in mind plus, it's supposed to have a gasketed junction with the camera which goes along with the Mark II's similar seals on all controls and openings. Other than that, I'll have to wait for them to come in then compare the results on the same subject with the lenses set for similar lengths.

Lee Yuan Sheng
03-24-2004, 04:39 AM
You're talking about filters, not lenses. It'll depend on what you need, but most amatuers have a polarising filter, since it can give a nice blue sky (watch out for uneveness of the effect on wider angles though), and remove reflections (for me, #1 reason to get it) off reflective surfaces.

Other useful filters include -

Neutral Density Filters - ND filters for short, they reduce the amount of light coming in. Useful when you want to force a slower shutter speed.

Graduated filters - ND and others, more for funky effects than for balancing out a bright sky like in the past (digital does this better)

Skylight or UV filters - serves as protection for amatuers like us, and some like the effect that skylights give. Money spinner for most camera stores.

As for convertor lenses, get them if you need to go wider or find the objects you're shooting come out too tiny.