View Full Version : Problems with the front cover sticking on D-40ZOOM

Gordo
03-22-2004, 08:30 PM
I have an Olympus D-40Zoom that I use for underwater photography. The front cover that slides back to turn on the camera is sticking, and is hard to open and close. The front of the camera now has a scratch on it where the cover is contacting the camera.

1) Has anyone experienced this problem?
2) Has anyone had the camera repaired for this problem?

As I have invested the additional cost on the underwater housing I would like to keep the camera in good working order. Unfortunately Olympus has discontinued production of the camera.

Jorgen
03-23-2004, 01:04 PM
I had a C-40Zoom (the European name) until recently - the "only" problem I ever had with it was that it ate batteries pretty fast. Otherwise a great camera.

Suhit Gupta
03-23-2004, 10:42 PM
As I have invested the additional cost on the underwater housing I would like to keep the camera in good working order. Unfortunately Olympus has discontinued production of the camera.
Does this mean that they won't even support it? Is the camera still under warranty?

Suhit

Gordo
03-24-2004, 12:00 AM
I havn't yet looked into getting it fixed. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same problem. If so was it fixed and how much did it cost. The camera is out of warranty, so I was hoping that a local camera shop could fix it.

Gord

Jorgen
03-24-2004, 08:23 AM
The big question is of course, why the front cover touch the body. We have a number of Olympus cameras with a sliding cover without experiencing problems, all of them have been used heavily. The front cover should never be able to touch - let alone scratch - the front of the camera.

Jorgen

Suhit Gupta
03-24-2004, 03:12 PM
How do you carry your camera? Like if it is in your pocket of a bag that you happened to drop, the cover may have bent. Did something like this happen?

Suhit

Gordo
03-24-2004, 04:41 PM
I am not that hard on my electronic equipment. It has lived in a Lowepro camera case that was exactly the size to hold the camera, and a spare set of batteries. I do use the camera quite a bit, both for work and pleasure. The camera has not taken a fall.

It looks like something under the cover has moved and is sticking out. This is now making contact with the front of the camera, and from use it has scratched the front of the camera with a horizontal line where the front cover opens. The camera still works; it is just a little harder to open. If I had taken it to a camera repair shop as soon as this happened I am sure the scratch would be smaller.

I don’t think I have abused the camera, just some good steady use.