View Full Version : Pop-Up Blocker Will Be Turned On By Default With SP2

Jason Dunn
03-19-2004, 01:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,115264,pg,1,RSS,RSS,00.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,115264,pg,1,RSS,RSS,00.asp</a><br /><br /></div>"Service Pack 2 for Windows XP, in addition to providing a host of security enhancements, will block pop-ups in Internet Explorer by default, Microsoft says. The beta version of the Windows XP update released in December last year always included a pop-up blocker, but the feature was turned off by default. Starting with the latest test version of Service Pack 2 (SP2), called Release Candidate 1 (RC1), pop-up blocking will be activated by default, according to an update to the fact sheet for Windows XP SP2 on Microsoft's Web site."<br /><br />I truly hope that every Web designer out there who thought that a pop-up windows was a "cool" place to put navigation or another key element to the site is now re-thinking the merits of that approach. Pop-ups must die.

Gary Sheynkman
03-19-2004, 01:01 AM
Pop-ups must die.

indeed

Kent Pribbernow
03-19-2004, 04:08 AM
I just pray to God Microsoft finally sees fit to someday bring Internet Explorer into 21st century, and join the rest of the browser market. IE has become little more than an antique browser. It looks so pathetically primitive compared to Firefox...or even Mac browsers like Camino, it's not even funny. :?

This is 2004 and IE is only JUST NOW getting a pop-up blocker? Other browsers have had this feature more than 3-4 years ago. Don't even get me started on the wretchedly dated CSS support. :roll:

Ok..rant over.

Ed Hansberry
03-19-2004, 04:47 AM
Pop-ups must die.Yup. Now MSN will have to rewrite their Money Central MSN site so it doesn't use popups. I had to enable popups on that site using Google's blocker so it would work.

Suhit Gupta
03-19-2004, 05:35 AM
I just pray to God Microsoft finally sees fit to someday bring Internet Explorer into 21st century, and join the rest of the browser market. IE has become little more than an antique browser. It looks so pathetically primitive compared to Firefox...or even Mac browsers like Camino, it's not even funny. :?

This is 2004 and IE is only JUST NOW getting a pop-up blocker? Other browsers have had this feature more than 3-4 years ago. Don't even get me started on the wretchedly dated CSS support. :roll:

Ok..rant over.
I think your rant is completely valid. The problems with IE don't end only with pop-ups. What about native tabbed browsing and proper CSS support. Apparently, the next real version isn't going to be out until Longhorn :roll:

Suhit