View Full Version : C|NET: "THe Sound of Science"

Jason Dunn
03-18-2004, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/2100-1023_3-5174929.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=news' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/2100-1023_3-5174929.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=news</a><br /><br /></div>"Lars Liljeryd woke up one morning in 1996 with a hangover and an idea that would transform the science of digital audio. A Swedish inventor and erstwhile rock drummer, Liljeryd had toyed with ways of compressing and transforming audio for years. That morning, he came up with a way of radically shrinking the amount of information needed to store a song or speech in digital form. The idea led to a handful of patents and a new business, ultimately attracting the crack engineering team largely responsible for creating the popular MP3 and Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) digital music formats. Liljeryd and his company Coding Technologies are still far from household names, but they've helped move the industry standard for digital audio technology beyond what many researchers had thought possible..."<br /><br />If you're a digital audio geek, this is a great article, although I was surprised when I got to the part of the article that actually explained the principal of what Liljeryd had come up with. The concept of extrapolating one frequency from another, thus gaining more data from less data, is brilliant. At least, I thought it was until I saw that the end result was MP3Pro, which I never found terribly impressive as a sound format - although it explains why you needed a special player to properly decode an MP3Pro file. What's your take on it?

Gary Sheynkman
03-19-2004, 12:47 AM
My take on it is that I largely dont care until there are devices capable of decoding MP3Pro to its potential

Jason Dunn
03-19-2004, 02:48 AM
My take on it is that I largely dont care until there are devices capable of decoding MP3Pro to its potential

Well, there are desktop software players, and arguably most digital music is still listened to on desktop and laptop computers. If that was the only issue, I think it would have taken off by now. Remember MP3Pro is over two years old by now...