View Full Version : A Clever Use of Digtal Photography: The Reconnaissance Round

Jason Dunn
03-18-2004, 10:01 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/03/17/financial1536EST0185.DTL' target='_blank'>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/03/17/financial1536EST0185.DTL</a><br /><br /></div>"His invention, which he calls a reconnaissance round, is essentially a digital camera packed into a mortar shell that is fired 1,800 to 2,000 feet into the air. The shell then deploys a parachute, and the camera is rigged to transmit photos to a soldier's laptop on the ground as it floats back to earth. Overhead images of battlefields shot by high-altitude spy planes, satellites and unmanned drones have become essential tools for modern military planners. But those are the tools of generals, Stancil says, and usually require too much time and logistics to offer real-time images to soldiers in the middle of a fight."

Gary Sheynkman
03-19-2004, 12:44 AM
I can think of a couple civilian applications :lol: :wink:

Suhit Gupta
03-19-2004, 02:34 PM
Interesting. This reminds me of another technique of getting reconnaissance photos (not military but purely civilian) - I can't remember the company name but they attach a camera to a kite and fly it around taking video as well as still shots. It produced some very good results :).

Suhit

Jonathon Watkins
03-20-2004, 01:27 AM
Nice idea. I have a friend who is intersted in doing a similar thing with a kite. At least it does not cost $7000 and self destruct after use. :wink:

Suhit Gupta
03-20-2004, 01:52 AM
Nice idea. I have a friend who is intersted in doing a similar thing with a kite. At least it does not cost $7000 and self destruct after use. :wink:
Yeah, the reason why I knew about this is because this company (still can't remember the name) came to our campus to photograph parts of the university. Apparently the kite option was much cheaper than renting a helicopter :).

Suhit