View Full Version : Rumour Mill: Apple Readying 4th-Generation iPod With 50 GB Drive?

Jason Dunn
03-17-2004, 09:24 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=393' target='_blank'>http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=393</a><br /><br /></div>"Apple Computer is preparing to unveil the 4th-generation of its flagship iPod music player, reliable sources told AppleInsider last week. Excluding the introduction of the iPod-mini in January, over half a year has passed since the company last update the iPod product-line on September 8th. While sources could not pin-point a specific day or month of introduction, they said the soon to be released player would boast a 50GB hard disk capable of holding 12,500 songs and carry an approximate cost of $499.<br /><br />Unlike the recent capacity-centric revisions to the iPod line, the 4th-generation iPod will host a number of architectural advancements and new features. Most apparent, sources say, is the presence of a 2-inch color screen for displaying photos stored on the pod, from the palm of your hand."<br /><br />The article goes on to say that the new iPod will have a video out jack as well, presumably for displaying photos. This is all a rumour at this point, but it has the scent of truth - I can see Apple making baby steps towards a portable media player, and photos are an easy thing to add that doesn't require massive changes to the core product. iPhotoPod? :lol:

Kevin Jackson
03-17-2004, 10:19 PM
50GB :eek:

I want, I want, I want!

Gimme, gimme, gimme!

:P 8O 8)

Kent Pribbernow
03-17-2004, 10:46 PM
If this rumor turns out to be true, you can expect the device to be outrageously expensive. Probably priced over $600. 8O

James Fee
03-17-2004, 10:54 PM
Well the article quotes the current high end price of $499... That would be in line with how Apple handles the iPod. They never lower the price, just increase the features.

Gary Sheynkman
03-18-2004, 01:32 AM
support for more formats than mp3 and aac and maybe some line in/out on the actuall unit and im sold!

Kevin Jackson
03-18-2004, 01:46 AM
I never thought that I would say this as I have become a big fan of wmp (which, in itself is a minor miracle :) ), but I could live with just mp3 and aac if it meant having the features, flexibility and sheer size of this mega iPod.

That said, if someone were to come out with a competing product that has the features (including 50GB of storage) and solidness of the iPod, I would certainly consider it.

Phoenix
03-18-2004, 11:49 AM
This would be a really slick product. But a 2" screen? For viewing photos, that would ruin it for me. I'd want to see at least a 3" screen. To keep similar dimensions of current Ipods, the screen most likely couldn't be any larger than 3", but 2" is just too small.

Still, a really cool concept, though!

mrkablooey
04-11-2004, 03:22 PM
To keep similar dimensions of current Ipods, the screen most likely couldn't be any larger than 3", but 2" is just too small.

Considering the size of the screen on most digital cameras, 2" is pretty large. :wink: