View Full Version : The Photographer's Rights: Your Rights When Stopped or Confronted for Photography

Jason Dunn
03-14-2004, 06:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm</a><br /><br /></div>"The right to take photographs is now under assault more than ever. People are being stopped, harassed, and even intimidated into handing over their personal property simply because they were taking photographs of subjects that made other people uncomfortable. Recent examples include photographing industrial plants, bridges, and vessels at sea. For the most part, attempts to restrict photography are based on misguided fears about the supposed dangers that unrestricted photography presents to society.<br /><br />Ironically, unrestricted photography by private citizens has played an integral role in protecting the freedom, security, and well being of all Americans. Photography in the United States has contributed to improvements in civil rights, curbed abusive child labor practices, and provided information important to investigating crimes. These images have not always been pretty and often have offended the sensibilities of governmental and commercial interests who had vested interests in a status quo that was adverse to the majority in our country."<br /><br />If you live in the USA, this site has a PDF document that you might find useful. If you're aware of a resource similar to this applicable in your own country, post a link to it in the thread - let's make a useful resource for photographers, shall we?

Crocuta
03-14-2004, 10:04 PM
An interesting article. I can't say that I've ever been in a situation in which I've been harassed for taking photos, but it's good to know where you stand before it happens. Americans should remember that these rights do not necessarily apply when overseas. Some countries have limitations on what you can photograph and some pretty severe penalties for violating them. Also, many cultures object to being photographed and so you should always check on that before you travel and respect the wishes of people who do object. Personally, I would respond the same way here even though I do technically have the right to photograph people in public. Unless you're a journalist, what's the point of provoking confrontation in the pursuit of your hobby?

Lee Yuan Sheng
03-14-2004, 10:27 PM
Here, there's no hard and fast rule for protection for photographers, nor from photographers. It's a fairly arbitary thing from what I've seen so far. If you're influential, you get your way most of the time. It's still a source of constant debate.

chrisspera
03-17-2004, 05:32 PM
I've converted the PDF to MS Reader format, with full credit to the original author, Bert P. Krages II. I've had to recreate the document from the PDF, and tried to keep the original look and feel.

I did this so that I could carry it on my Pocket PC, which I'm likely to have when out taking digital photos. The original document is a landscape (11"x8.5") that didn't look right on my PPC.

I'd be happy to share this with anyone who's interested.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Godsongz
03-17-2004, 09:26 PM
...I did this so that I could carry it on my Pocket PC, which I'm likely to have when out taking digital photos...

There was also a .pdb file available for download, and it reads very nicely in PalmReader on my 2215.