View Full Version : Connected Home Delves Into Photo Printing

Jason Dunn
03-16-2004, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.connectedhomemag.com/Visual/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=41874' target='_blank'>http://www.connectedhomemag.com/Visual/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=41874</a><br /><br /></div>"If you've made the switch to digital photography but, for some reason, still prefer to purchase 4"x6" prints of all your photos, a photo-quality printer isn't a great choice. Although you can buy such a device for just a couple hundred dollars, the real cost of a photo-quality printer isn't in the initial purchase—it's in the perishables, primarily photo paper and ink, and in the time it takes to print high-quality photos. Frankly, I think digital photography, home computing, and broadband networking open up new and more exciting methods of sharing memories than subjecting house guests to an hour of flipping through your photo albums. But if you're stuck in that traditionalist rut or simply need to share pictures with relatives and friends who haven't jumped on the technology bandwagon, you might find yourself needing a lot of physical photo prints..."<br /><br />If you're new to the concept of printing your photos at home, this is a solid overview article discussing some of the merits of home photo printing versus using an online or local photo printing service. The author also looks at some current photo printers, although he seems to have a bias towards Epson (I used to be that way until I discovered the joy that is Canon printers). Which brings us to a survey:

Mike Temporale
03-16-2004, 08:13 PM
I will print one-offs, 8x10's, or any custom work at home. But if I need to have 20 pictures printed, then I use a local store.

I'm sure Canon has a nice printer, but I refuse to use any gravity feed printer/fax. I have had nothing but bad luck with paper jams and I would hate to have 2 peices of high-priced photo paper lost because the stupid printer grabbed a couple pages at once. :evil:

Jason Dunn
03-16-2004, 08:26 PM
I'm sure Canon has a nice printer, but I refuse to use any gravity feed printer/fax. I have had nothing but bad luck with paper jams and I would hate to have 2 peices of high-priced photo paper lost because the stupid printer grabbed a couple pages at once. :evil:

Interesting - my experience has always been the opposite. Straight-through printers have always caused me less problems than the "up and over" style that HP uses. For what it's worth, I've never had the Canon i950 grab more than one page at a time. ;-)

Andy Manea
03-16-2004, 09:11 PM
When I need prints, I usually take either my SM card or the CD to the store with me and make prints right away for 20c/piece, or I order the prints online, and pick them up in the store for 13c/piece. No photo printer can give me that quality and definitely not the price.
But I misuse the whole printing a little, as I print my own greeting cards, passport pics, CD covers for the small CDs, and posters of graphics I make - along with real pictures.
I really love the time we live in!! It's cool to live N O W :rock on dude!:

Neil Enns
03-16-2004, 10:58 PM
I've said it many times before in other places, but Costco is the killer place to go for prints. 4x6 are around $0.16 a piece, and 12x18s are $2.99 (yes, two-ninety-nine). 8O

The quality is stunning too. I can't fathom investing in a printer + inks + paper + hassle to print at home when Costco is so cheap and such good quality.

Neil

Jason Dunn
03-16-2004, 11:22 PM
The quality is stunning too. I can't fathom investing in a printer + inks + paper + hassle to print at home when Costco is so cheap and such good quality.

One word: convenience. :wink: For me the hassle of going down to Costco, lining up, leaving, and coming back again to repeat the process just to get prints...not worth it for me. The ability to make superb-looking prints immediately in my home is worth a bit of extra cost to me. In terms of quality, at least with my local Costco, the difference between their prints my i950 prints were too subtle to notice. And hassle? What hassle? :-)

Luckily, we leave in the world where both solutions are available, so we can each be happy with our own. :D Seriously though, do you have a good photo printer and have you tried making your own prints? It's quite a satisfying experience. 8)

brianchris
03-16-2004, 11:36 PM
I own an HP k80xi all in one, which is hardly a photo printer, but does a surprisngly good job at printing 4x6 photos. Recently, at an MS Big Day conference, I won (one of the first things I've ever won in my life) an HP Photosmart 130 (or 100...can't remeber at the moment and am not by it). I was excitied at the idea of a dedicated home photo printer, but it has proved disapointing. I seem to have USB connection problems with it, and recently, it has suffered from SERIOUS multiple paper grabs and mis-feeds.

In addition, I have used local developer, and WOW was it easy to 1) load up the memory card / CD with only the images I wanted to print, 2) stick it in their self service machine, and 3) have those picturtes print out on the SAME printer that prints the 35MM developed film. Needless to say, I'm definetely leaning in that direction.

Haven't actually used the online offerings, but I should as I definetely see them as having all the benefits of the local shop without the need to leave my home.

-Brian

fgarcia10
03-17-2004, 01:04 AM
I'm new to the digital camera world, I had my digital camera for only a couple of months. I use my Epson 825 to print my pictures, I have only printed 4x6, and I have printed more than 24 pictures at one time, I have never had a problem, some people don't even believe me when I say I did it at home, quality is excellent. And I use the ink refill kit from Sams Club, very economical and quality don't suffer.

I guess I'm very happy :D

Jason Dunn
03-17-2004, 01:06 AM
Glad to see another home printer! :way to go:

And I use the ink refill kit from Sams Club, very economical and quality don't suffer.

One word of caution: make sure you keep your digital copies (I assume you will), because the cheaper third-party inks tend not to be as fade resistant over time.

SassKwatch
03-17-2004, 02:05 AM
The ability to make superb-looking prints immediately in my home is worth a bit of extra cost to me.
Same here.

I am curious.....from some of the forum chatter I've seen at dpreview, it didn't seem like the Canon printers were held in all that high regard. It's been a while since I read this info, so I could be wrong, but I *think* durability was the primary concern raised.(?) I take it from your comments, you haven't experienced any problems?

I'm currently utilizing a 3(?) yr old HP952c. For it's age, it still does a pretty nice job. But I'll probably pick up an Epson 2200 before yr's end.

Jason Dunn
03-17-2004, 03:01 AM
I am curious.....from some of the forum chatter I've seen at dpreview, it didn't seem like the Canon printers were held in all that high regard. It's been a while since I read this info, so I could be wrong, but I *think* durability was the primary concern raised.(?) I take it from your comments, you haven't experienced any problems?

Interesting - no, I've been very impressed with the output quality, and in terms of durability, well, I've had it for less than a year, so it's impossible to judge the lifespan of the prints. ;-)

SassKwatch
03-17-2004, 03:13 AM
... and in terms of durability, well, I've had it for less than a year, so it's impossible to judge the lifespan of the prints. ;-)
I meant the durability of the printer itself....not the output. :lol:

Neil Enns
03-17-2004, 04:32 AM
Luckily, we leave in the world where both solutions are available, so we can each be happy with our own. Seriously though, do you have a good photo printer and have you tried making your own prints? It's quite a satisfying experience.

Bah! My way or the highway! :lol:

No, I don't own a printer. I'm at Costco so often anyway (usually once a week) that taking my prints there is just fine. Plus I only print 12x18, I don't generally do the smaller prints. Can current inkjets even print that big without a huge expensive printer? The line isn't too bad because I go towards close and they can usually turn em around in an hour.

Neil

Andy Manea
03-17-2004, 06:54 PM
Something else in favor of the store prints: real photo paper, you know, the nice thick type. Can you get this type of paper to make your own prints?

I can see the convenience arguments, but living in Germany where the next store is within walking distance anyway.. Nowadays, even small grocery stores offer photo services. 8O

fgarcia10
03-17-2004, 07:13 PM
Glad to see another home printer! :way to go:

And I use the ink refill kit from Sams Club, very economical and quality don't suffer.

One word of caution: make sure you keep your digital copies (I assume you will), because the cheaper third-party inks tend not to be as fade resistant over time.

Thanks for the tip!

My digital copies are save on my hard drive and on a cd. I'm having lots of fun with Digital Image Suite 9, I tried Photoshop but I did not like it, the photos did not look right in my screen. Plus Digital Image is only $29.99 after my rebates at CompUSA.

Montego
03-17-2004, 07:32 PM
I've been using Club Photo for about the past year and have been really satisfied with their quality and speed of delivery. I just upload my photos and can get prints made anytime.

One advantage of Club Photo is that other family members can go to my page and order prints to have delivered to their homes. My sister does this all of the time.

www.clubphoto.com

Jason Dunn
03-17-2004, 09:08 PM
I meant the durability of the printer itself....not the output. :lol:

Oh. Nope, I haven't had any problems with it. But how durable does a printer need to be anyway? It's not like it's a portable printer and meant to be packed up and moved around for photo shoots. :lol:

Jason Dunn
03-17-2004, 09:10 PM
Something else in favor of the store prints: real photo paper, you know, the nice thick type. Can you get this type of paper to make your own prints?

Sure, absolutely! The high-quality printing paper that you need to use to get good prints is just as thick as the paper I got from Costco when I did some test prints.

I can see the convenience arguments, but living in Germany where the next store is within walking distance anyway.. Nowadays, even small grocery stores offer photo services. 8O

Hmm - if I could get a print within walking distance, I might do that, but in Calgary where I live, I'd have to drive 15 minutes to the nearest shopping mall. There are some online ordering services here from places like Future Shop, but last time I checked their prices were a little high.

James Fee
03-17-2004, 10:31 PM
As others have said, I can't be bothered to go somewhere to print. Heck I have a Walgreens within 1/2 mile from me and I won't go.