View Full Version : Connected Home: "Pondering Your Next TV"

Jason Dunn
03-15-2004, 02:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.connectedhomemag.com/HomeTheater/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=41790' target='_blank'>http://www.connectedhomemag.com/HomeTheater/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=41790</a><br /><br /></div>"Until fairly recently, consumers had only a few choices when it came to purchasing reasonably priced TVs: the familiar direct-view sets (which essentially use the same picture-tube technology as the earliest sets) and projection TVs (which ship in rear- and front-projection varieties). I own a couple of TVs that represent both technologies: a 4-year-old 43" rear-projection set that still provides surprisingly good picture quality, albeit it in the old 4:3 screen format, and a 27" direct-view TV that sits largely unused in our bedroom. Today, the choices are much broader..."<br /><br />Paul Thurrott (man, that guy is everywhere!) has written a nice overview of the current state of TVs today - although he curiously left out DLP, which is an interesting technology (or perhaps he slots that under Direct-view). The most useful part of the article might be the definition of progressive scan:<br /><br />"But what's really the difference between an interlaced TV signal (e.g., 480i) and a noninterlaced TV signal (e.g., 480p, in which "p" means "progressive")? An interlaced TV signal draws the picture every other line at once, drawing the odd-numbered lines first, and the even-numbered lines next. Every half-screen drawing takes about 1/60th of a second, so a full screen image on a 480i, 720i, or 1080i display will be drawn in 1/30th of a second. Progressive scan (noninterlaced) technology is newer: With this method, the TV signal is drawn in a single pass, from top to bottom. If your TV supports progressive scan, you should try the progressive modes first. And some modern AV components, such as newer DVD players, also support progressive scan display. Coupled with a compatible TV, progressive scan gives you the most stable picture now possible."<br /><br />Progressive, interlaced, non-interlaced - all are a little confusing, but the above explains it quite well. Next week I'll post a story about a recent TV-shopping experience that I recently went through. It was very enlightening, but also somewhat depressing at the same time. Watch for it!

Philip Colmer
03-15-2004, 06:56 PM
Nice clear article ... it was good to get an easy to understand explanation of the HDTV figures. We don't have that yet in the UK - we're lucky if we even have Dolby Digital broadcasts :x

Paul doesn't include LCOS (Liquid Crystal On Silicon) either as a separate viewing technology or as a sub-technology to LCD. My understanding is that LCOS is supposed to be better than LCD, but it isn't mainstream yet.

--Philip