View Full Version : High-Quality Transcoding...Just a Bit on the Slow Side

Jason Dunn
03-12-2004, 09:00 PM
Yesterday I captured an old VHS tape with three hours of content (it was a taping of a Cyrano de Bergerac play starring Derek Jacobi) and have decided that rather than burning it to DVD (which would be a challenge with three hours of video), I wanted to keep it as a high-quality Windows Media Video file. I do Firewire capturing on my laptop (Fujitsu P5010D) to an external Maxtor USB 2.0 hard drive (160 GB). When I want to really keep the quality level high, I use the File Archive setting in the Windows Media Encoder, and set it to VBR Quality 95 (which retains the 720 x 480 resolution), CD quality audio, and let it rip. With three hours of media at that quality setting, guess long long the media encoding is taking? It's been running for 19 hours so far and there's another 24 hours or so left over. Crazy! 8O Granted, this is a 900 MHz P-4M, but still...talk about needing some serious patience. :lol: The higher the quality of the transcode, the longer it will take - if I wanted to do a 640 x 480 version, it would likely only take several hours. Consider yourself warned! ;-)

bbarker
03-12-2004, 10:07 PM
It would be interesting to see how much time it would take on a couple of other systems, such as a 1.8GHz P4 desktop with 512MB RAM and a 3.4GHz with 1GB or 2GB RAM.

I know you're a patient man and running those comparisons would be exciting for you.

Tim Williamson
03-12-2004, 10:51 PM
Heh, that sounds like some great fun to do over the weekend.

BTW, I have a 366 MHz PC if you wanna borrow it to see how long it would take to capture that VHS. ;)

bbarker
03-12-2004, 11:11 PM
Maybe we could figure out how to capture to my Cassiopeia E-10. It has a CF slot.

Tim Williamson
03-12-2004, 11:17 PM
Do they make a CF video in card?

Suhit Gupta
03-13-2004, 06:51 PM
Hmm, good question, I don't believe so. However, one of our Rogue PPCT Editors would know for sure.

Suhit

Jason Dunn
03-14-2004, 12:28 AM

They do, but the quality is so horrific, you really don't wan to go there. ;-)