View Full Version : I See Dead Pixels Everywhere...

Jason Dunn
03-10-2004, 09:00 AM
I seem to be having a rash of dead/stuck pixels lately...on my Fujitsu P5010D laptop, I've got one cluster of three that are painfully obvious to see, and several others around the rest of the screen. On a tiny 12" screen, that's pretty obvious. :? On each 17" Samsung LCD that I have, there are a few dead pixels, and on one I have a small cluster that are stuck in "shiny happy rainbow" mode. :evil: As much as I love LCD screens, I really hate dead/stuck pixels. The strange thing is that I've been using various LCD products for years, and the past two months are the first time I've had problems. My pixels, my pixels, why hast though forsaken me? Now I've got to look up each warranty policy and figure out how many pixels it will take for the manufacturer to replace the screens. I think I good on the Fujitsu, but I don't think I have enough on the Samsung LCDs just yet. Drat!

Ed Hansberry
03-10-2004, 02:15 PM
Bleh. I have two Dell Latitudes right now and no dead pixels, but my Samsung DLP 43" TV has one - lower left. It is black and only obvious on scenes that are very bright for long periods of time.

Suhit Gupta
03-10-2004, 03:30 PM
I have an 20" LCD monitor at home and at work, plus my laptop and none of them have a dead pixel, thankfully. However, I do have a 'sick' pixel on the LCD at work. There is one pixel, almost in the middle of the screen which is why I notice it right away, that is highly temperamental. Ever few weeks, it goes off for a little while, and then comes back within a day or so. Usually happens when there is a very white background. I know that doesn't seem anywhere close to as bad as Jason's problem, but I still find it annoying.

Having said this, I had one completely dead pixel on a brand new Sony F560X laptop (straight out of the box) that I had bought a few years ago. Very annoying. :x Other than that I have not had problems with dead pixels.

Suhit

Tim Williamson
03-10-2004, 04:19 PM
Dead pixels I see
Like the bright stars in the night
Burning my eyes out.

Doug Johnson
03-10-2004, 09:37 PM
I, too, have noticed an increase. Of the many, many various LCD panels I have had over the years, it wasn't until this summer that I had any dead or stuck pixels, now I have 3: iPAQ 5555 has a stuck green pixel, Sony 6.5" car LCD has a stuck red pixel, and my 14" (forget the brand) XGA LCD has a (usually) stuck red pixel.

Seems to be more common now.

ctmagnus
03-10-2004, 10:39 PM
My pixels, my pixels, why have thy forsaken me?

I'm not too hot on the Shakespearean-era stuff ( :sleeping: ) but I believe that should be thou.

Thy is possessive, thou is subjective and thee is objective.

;)

Tim Williamson
03-10-2004, 11:22 PM

I'm not too hot on the Shakespearean-era stuff ( :sleeping: ) but I believe that should be thou.

Thy is possessive, thou is subjective and thee is objective.

;)

Actually that would be more of a Biblical-era "saying". ;) But I think you are correct about the thy/thou/thee stuff. :)

Jason Dunn
03-10-2004, 11:35 PM
I'm not too hot on the Shakespearean-era stuff ( :sleeping: ) but I believe that should be thou. Thy is possessive, thou is subjective and thee is objective.

Whoa there...better send me a picture of your grammar police badge if you're going to start that. ;-)

Ed Hansberry
03-10-2004, 11:46 PM

I'm not too hot on the Shakespearean-era stuff ( :sleeping: )
Uhm... that is only over 1,000 years off from when that was said. :lol:

ctmagnus
03-10-2004, 11:54 PM
I'm not too hot on the pre-1980 stuff. Better? ;)

(But I remember hearing a few thees and thys as I was sleeping through the Shakespearean parts of high school English.)

Deemo
03-11-2004, 02:21 AM
I seem to be having a rash of dead/stuck pixels lately...on my Fujitsu P5010D laptop,

Dude....you shoulda got a Dell!
(inside joke)

rmarch
03-11-2004, 10:40 AM
I was wondering if it was just bad luck, but I have seen an increase in dead pixels. I have had countless laptops and lcds over the past 10 years and I have never personally had a dead pixel (of course I have seen a few here or there but being in technology I see hundreds of lcds). Now, in the past 6 months I have dead pixels on all three of my new lcds. At work I received a new IBM T40 laptop with two green pixels. Along with the laptop I have an NEC 18 lcd with three green pixels. At home I bought a 22" Gateway (A rebranded LG) with two dead pixels. WTF. They are just enough to be annoying but not enough to be trashed in the quality check before shipping or be returned under warrenty. I have done an informal check of laptops here at work and I found about 35% (very informal survey) of new laptops have at least on dead pixel but none more than 4.

I think two things are happening. One, the manufaturing is getting much better relative to a few years ago. Two, due to the improvement in manufacturing there are many, many more screens with just a few dead pixels (as opposed to big clusters that were fairly regular a few years back when outputs were much lower) and therefore more are being released under the old quality standards of "less than 10 pixels" (or something close). Whatever is happening, it is annoying.

marlof
03-11-2004, 10:42 AM
I had bought a Sony Vaio notebook, and it came out of factory with one dead pixel. Nothing I could do about it, just learn to live with it. And I did, since I've used that notebook for three years, and when someone recently reminded me that I had a dead pixel on it, I couldn't remember until he said that we went to together to the shop to inform about their dead pixel policy. So it wasn't that much of a dealbreaker to me I guess. ;) And my mom, who is using the Vaio now, hasn't noticed it yet.

My Apple iBook 12" doesn't have a dead pixel after 1 1/2 years of usage.

My Lecia Digilux 1 has two dead pixels on its 2,5" screen, but since I don't stare in that screen for longer periods of time, that is no problem.

None of my Pocket PCs have a dead pixel on their screen.

My Sony Ericsson T610 has a complete fingerprint of deadpixels. Never give your Smartphone to an infant, no matter if it has protective hard plastic in front of the screen. As I've learned, that plastic can be bent to get in touch with the screen, causing pixels to die. :(

Right now, I'm looking for A) a new notebook (abled enough to do all kinds of multimedia tasks, so it can replace my deskop and current notebook) or B) a new TFT screen for my aging desktop. Since I will be looking at that screen for quite some time, I'll probably end up spending top dollar to get a decent brand, and a good dead pixel warranty.