View Full Version : "CARD ERROR!!!"

Andy Manea
03-09-2004, 06:51 PM
Argh! I just turned on my camera (Fuji Finepix 4700) and it refuses to accept the Smart Media card that's in it!! There is no convincing it to at least give it a try.
That happened before, and I always ended up solving the problem by switching the camera on and off often enough. Then I realized the camera just wants to know what is inside, so whenever I delete the pictures from the card, I leave one on it, and everything is fine. Well, I forgot to do that the last time I transferred the pics to my laptop, and now I have a useless card - again. I already had to throw one out. :evil:

I am guessing it might be an SM problem, or is it not? Has anyone else trouble with their cards?

Suhit Gupta
03-09-2004, 08:06 PM
Have you tried putting your card in a reader (connected to your PC) and re-formatting it? That might be a cheaper solution (i.e. buying a dedicated card reader) instead of throwing out your flash card every time this happens.

Suhit

Andy Manea
03-09-2004, 09:19 PM
Of course. I only threw away a card once, the card reader killed it (had to throw that one out, too. It smelled burnt and all.) The camera kept showing me a card error message and when I tried to hook it up to the computer, that's when the disaster happened. That was a PCMCIA-to-SM card adapter. It's a long time ago and the wounds have healed :wink:

BTW, the card works again, I don't know what it was. Took me a while to get it to work, though.

Does that just happen with SM?

Jason Dunn
03-09-2004, 11:24 PM
Wow - I've never heard of such a thing happening! I'd think it was more of a problem with your camera rather than the storage media. Have you tried seeing if your camera OEM has a ROM update?

Gary Sheynkman
03-10-2004, 01:49 AM
Of course. I only threw away a card once, the card reader killed it (had to throw that one out, too. It smelled burnt and all.) The camera kept showing me a card error message and when I tried to hook it up to the computer, that's when the disaster happened. That was a PCMCIA-to-SM card adapter. It's a long time ago and the wounds have healed :wink:

BTW, the card works again, I don't know what it was. Took me a while to get it to work, though.

Does that just happen with SM?

this is one crazy story.... :o do you think it's your camera thats causing this or you just have terrible luck :lol:

Andy Manea
03-10-2004, 07:04 PM
Wow - I've never heard of such a thing happening! I'd think it was more of a problem with your camera rather than the storage media. Have you tried seeing if your camera OEM has a ROM update?
No upgrade. I thought it was because the digicam is a little old, but they don't offer ANY ROM upgrades for any of their cameras on their website. Yet another reason to stay away from Fuji in the future. Too bad.

You really think it's the camera? Next time I should try to go to an electronics store and insert the card in some other SM camera to test it out.

Jason Dunn
03-10-2004, 07:13 PM
You really think it's the camera? Next time I should try to go to an electronics store and insert the card in some other SM camera to test it out.

Well, honestly, if this was a characteristic of all Smart Media cards, I think there would have been a huge uproar about it a couple of years ago. So that makes me think it's something to do with your camera...I don't suppose it's still under warranty is it?

Andy Manea
03-10-2004, 07:14 PM
this is one crazy story.... :o do you think it's your camera thats causing this or you just have terrible luck :lol:
Weeeeell, I know luckier people out there :puppydogeyes:
I really thought it was the card, but on the other hand I have a useless 256MB SD card now because neither the laptop nor the PPC want to read it. Tried to format it in a digicam, but even the camera gave me a "card error!" message. And that was a brandnew camera in a store, mind you.

I treat my toys like raw eggs, so malhandling (or is that mishandling?) is out of the question. :(

Andy Manea
03-10-2004, 07:16 PM
Jason, no, it's not under warranty any more, it actually never was, because I bought it on ebay.

Andy Manea
03-10-2004, 07:19 PM
I'm shocked! I thought people had made similar experiences, and now I realize this just happened to me !?! That's sooo messed up! :evil: