View Full Version : Thinking about a new flash

Godsongz
03-09-2004, 05:39 PM
Anyone tried the Speedlite 420EX with a EOS 300D? The price point is acceptable and I don't think I'll need the added advantages of the higher priced models. The built-in popup flash on the 300D is ok for a lot of situations but pretty bad for others. I knew when I bought the 300D that a telephoto zoom and a decent flash wouldn't be far behind... one down, one to go.

Jason Dunn
03-09-2004, 06:30 PM
Yup, that's the one that I have. I'll be honest, I really don't know all that much about flashes, but the extra light is very useful in many situations, especially when I'm further away from my subject. It also gives you the flexibility to bounce light, which opens up some different opportunities for getting the right shot. The only down side for me is that it uses...gasp....regular AA batteries! 8O :lol: It's one of the only things I have that uses regular batteries...

Suhit Gupta
03-09-2004, 07:51 PM
I have not tried the 420, but I have briefly used the Speedlite 550EX with my EOS 10D. It was the one recommended in the manual and I went to a camera store to check it out. For $350, it is a bit too expensive for me and I am going to continue with the built-in flash for now, but I did notice that the camera automatically detected the flash (which was nice). The extra light that the external flash produced was quite nice, and I was pleasantly surprised by the results.

Suhit

Suhit Gupta
03-09-2004, 07:52 PM
I knew when I bought the 300D that a telephoto zoom and a decent flash wouldn't be far behind... one down, one to go.
BTW, which telephoto lens are you thinking of? I ask because that is something I am interested in as well.

Suhit

Bob12
03-09-2004, 07:55 PM
I have the 550EX and use it extensively. An external flash is required on my EOS D60 because of the two lenses I use - the 35-350 and 20-35 both are large enough that they cast shadows on anything within range of the built-in flash. So, for me, the added cost of the 550 was worthwhile. However, if you don't need its range and other features, the 420 should be fully adequate.

Godsongz
03-17-2004, 04:32 PM
BTW, which telephoto lens are you thinking of? I ask because that is something I am interested in as well.

I went with the EF 75-300. It's cheap and slow, but fine for what I use it for. The fixed focal telephotos are typically much faster lenses, but I just don't have the Grover Cleveland's to drop on one. Even the 420ex speedlight will have to wait until my tax-refund comes in. :)

Neil Enns
03-17-2004, 05:34 PM
I use the 420EX on my 10D all the time. It's wonderfully more flexible than the built-in flash, especially when combined with the 2' extension cord (I've got one) or wireless flash trigger (too expensive for me!).

A good example of the flexibility is being able to direct where the flash goes. By bouncing it off ceilings in rooms I can get a much more even light that doesn't result in a picture where it's obvious the flash was used. I also used a Sto-Fen omnibounce on it quite a bit, until my dog ate it :evil: