View Full Version : Batteries Trounced By Miniature Fuel Cells?

Suhit Gupta
03-10-2004, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994734' target='_blank'>http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994734</a><br /><br /></div>"A trick that boosts the power of miniature hydrogen fuel cells by up to 50 per cent has been revealed by US researchers. Such fuel cells could help keep portable gadgets up and running...". This news comes especially after cellphone giant Nokia warned that battery technology is not keeping up with advances in phones (and cameras).<br /><br />Their method of gaining better performance and longer life is by increasing efficiency by shrinking the channels that deliver fuel to "the cell's heart". However, it isn't quite time to rush to the stores yet, since, at present, this seems to work only with hydrogen fuel cells, and as you may or may not know, liquid methanol is currently the fuel of choice.<br /><br />This is an interesting article as it not only talks about the fuel cell technology and how it works, but also the pros and cons of the above mentioned strategy of shrinking the delivery channels. I did not know much about fuel cell at all before reading this article, but it is good to know that there are some alternative methods being researched that would extend the life of our devices. On my recent trip to Seattle, I had to carry 6 separate chargers for my different electronic devices (cell phone, camera, mp3/ogg player, iPaq, laptop and toothbrush), whereas I could really have used some of that space :roll:.

Crocuta
03-11-2004, 05:16 AM
I keep waiting for them to get these things done and in our hands! Batteries are the one high-tech item that have seen very little improvement in recent years. We really needs something like fuel cells to move us on to the next level. I love reading these article because I know this is going to change everything, but it really makes me impatient. It seems like it's taking forever.

Suhit Gupta
03-11-2004, 05:55 AM
That is a good point, and given that the fuel cell described here is still not even close to being in a form ready for consumers, I don't see this us using it in the short term.

Suhit