View Full Version : Convergence Hardware in Your Living Room?

Jason Dunn
03-08-2004, 11:49 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,115029,tk,dn030804X,00.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,115029,tk,dn030804X,00.asp</a><br /><br /></div>"Along with DVD's increasingly central role in the entertainment network, several trends are emerging this year: hardware that combines two or more functions for greater convenience, and products that aim to unclutter your home theater setup. DVD/VHS recorders in one: Units from GoVideo and LG Electronics that let you record onto VHS tape and DVD (and dub one to the other easily) are here; others--from companies like Panasonic, Philips, and Samsung--should follow. Prices range from $399 to $600."<br /><br />We've heard about convergence for years, but it's actually starting to come true now - VCR/DVD combos and TV/VCR combos were among the first, but things are starting to get even more interesting now with TV/printer combos, among other things. I've always been somewhat leery of convergence devices, because when one thing breaks down, you lose more than one piece of hardware. However, as in the case of the VCD/DVD combo unit I just bought, the cost for a combined unit isn't outrageous, so losing the unit isn't such a risk. How many of you have converged media devices of some sort?

Suhit Gupta
03-09-2004, 01:45 AM
That wireless TV seems very cool, I definitely wouldn't mind having one (or five) of those ;-). My biggest complaint about this article is that, other than the prices of all these devices being outrageous, it makes all of these devices sound to gimickey.

Suhit

Gary Sheynkman
03-09-2004, 05:41 AM
As convinient as convergence is... I am yet to see a "system" where multiple devices will do a better job at the particular task

Jason Dunn
03-09-2004, 05:50 AM
As convinient as convergence is... I am yet to see a "system" where multiple devices will do a better job at the particular task

Well, what about a DVD/VCR combo? Each functions the same as a stand-alone unit, but they take up less space, have less cabling complexity, etc.

iand
03-09-2004, 03:19 PM
But most TV/VCR combos I've seen are not particularly good TV's or VCRs. More of a combo geared toward kids room, cottages, or small apartments. Are the DVD/VCR combos similar, or are they actually good-quality units?

Re the article: I saw the Epson TV/printer at CES - kinda cool, but I would never use it. There are some things that are better left for computers, and IMHO, dealing with digital photos is one of them. Plus, the problem with TVs (and something that manufacturers have never figured out) is the kid factor. If you put something on the front of a TV, your toddler will poke, prod press it until it's worn out or broken. If anyone has ever seen a TV on which the front panel buttons can be disabled with some sort of switch, please let me know, because every kid I've ever seen goes through a stage where they change the channels or turn the TV off and on while the parents are trying to watch something. But I digress... :)

Jason Dunn
03-09-2004, 03:54 PM
But most TV/VCR combos I've seen are not particularly good TV's or VCRs. More of a combo geared toward kids room, cottages, or small apartments. Are the DVD/VCR combos similar, or are they actually good-quality units?

Hmm. I don't think I agree with that - you're right about most TV/VCR combos being for cottages or small apartments, but the small 17" TVs (or whatever size they are) integrated seem no worse than a stand-alone 17" TV (which are usually quite poor in quality). ;-) In terms of the DVD/VCR combo that I have now, I haven't done any head to head testing between it and my stand-alone JVC upstairs, but on first glance I noticed no difference. I have the Polaroid combo unit connected to a small 15" Toshiba flat screen, and on watching a DVD, the quality was excellent (and that's with composite cables, not S-Video).

A lot of the early combo units were made by small vendors that lacked quality, but now that the mainstream brands are making them, I don't think quality is an issue any longer.