View Full Version : A Notebook With Dual Displays? Yes, But Not What You're Thinking

Jason Dunn
03-07-2004, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/display/20040228074515.html' target='_blank'>http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/display/20040228074515.html</a><br /><br /></div>"Lenovo, a subsidiary of Chinese largest computer maker Legend, is projected to market the world’s first notebook with two displays. The laptop code-named Vela will be launched sometime in Q4 2004 and will be based on Intel’s next-generation mobile platform internally called Sonoma. The innovative Vela notebook will feature 15.4” main display, just like an ordinary mobile computer, but will also come equipped with a 4.4” by 2.4” display on the front side of the case. The secondary screen will allow performing tasks typically done on PDAs, such as email checking, appointments planning and other of the same kind."<br /><br />When I first read this news story, I got really excited, because I thought it was some sort of secondary display that would be attached to the main display - I've often dreamt of having small displays attached to my main monitor for multimedia playback, utilities. It turns out the display is on the front of the laptop, similar to the Flipstart. I have to question the usefulness of this - how many people will use a laptop to play MP3s when the lid is closed? I'd think that a dedicated MP3 player or PDA would be a better solution. Still, it's nice to see laptops continuing to evolve with digital media in mind.

OSUKid7
03-07-2004, 09:05 PM
How is this better than a Tablet PC? I can't imagine this would cost too much less than a Tablet PC either. Don't think I'd ever get one of these laptops. :roll:

arebelspy
03-07-2004, 09:24 PM
Sounds like how most cell phones work now days - outer display for quick access when the lid is closed. Could be useful if you can control things (i.e. mp3 playback) while its closed. The cell phone will show you who's calling, what time it is, etc.

I don't think you'll pull out your laptop to check the time, so it's gotta be a bit more useful than that. ;)

-arebelspy

Gary Sheynkman
03-08-2004, 12:07 AM
How is this better than a Tablet PC? I can't imagine this would cost too much less than a Tablet PC either. Don't think I'd ever get one of these laptops. :roll:

I agree....gimmicky is the word that comes to mind... :wink:

Steven Hughes
03-08-2004, 01:44 PM
A secondary screen would be useful, since it would conserve on battery life and say if you just wanted to check if you have any new email you could easily check with out opening and powering on your laptop/tablet PC or better yet make/take a call over VOIP, or perform voice commands or dictation to your laptop with out opening it up and starting an application...

Intel has a slew of new technology it is coming out with this technology falls under Intel's Mobile Platform Vision Guide (MPVG), which provides a framework for developing future notebooks based on Intel Centrino mobile technology, and Intel's concept mobile PCs serve as early demonstrations of the MPVG, highlighting innovation opportunities for the PC industry.

This is from the Intel Developer Forum also known as IDF:

"This year's 2004 MPVG features Intel's first example of Extended Mobile Access (EMA), which enables closed-lid instant access to e-mail and other information through a secondary display on the lid of notebook PCs based on Intel Centrino mobile technology. PC manufacturer Lenovo (Legend) demonstrated a model of its EMA-capable "Vela" laptop, and Insyde Software announced software that enables EMA functions, including allowing the laptop to enter a low-power mode when the lid is closed, while remaining connected to a wireless enterprise network.

To demonstrate 2005 mobile platform concepts, Intel has developed three concept mobile PCs, code-named "Florence." The 12-inch model features EMA functionality and converts from a laptop to a tablet PC, allowing maximum flexibility to balance office and mobile demands. The 15.4-inch model is designed to enhance worker productivity with fingerprint and smartcard security, built-in array microphones and camera for collaboration, and EMA functionality. The 17-inch Mobile Entertainment PC allows users to communicate and be entertained around the home with a wide-screen display in a sleek, portable design; a wireless Bluetooth keyboard; built-in voice-over-IP handset and remote control; integrated array microphones and camera; and Intel High Definition Audio for high-quality sound."

There are also some other Multimedia features that are going to be added to laptops this year and the next.

As part of Intel's new Centrino, Alviso chipset there will support 3rd generation graphics, Direct Media Interface with improved bandwidth, TV-out, high definition audio, eight USB ports, four-port PCI Express, and up to 2GB of DDR2 memory. Alviso will also support Intel High Definition Audio with low power capabilities to reduce power consumption by allowing the processor to remain in a sleep state while audio activity is happening. And this is for a laptop...which will also have chipset support with a new Wi-Fi component that supports the 802.11a, 802.11b and 802.11g wireless networking standards and bluetooth.

Putting off a purchase for a new multimedia enhanced laptop seems to be worth the wait...

:D

For more on the IDF head here (http://www.bostonpocketpc.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=2138).

ctmagnus
03-09-2004, 03:42 AM
:confused totally: Judging by the description of the second display, wouldn't the company that started including a one-line scrolling display for audio tag info claim this crown?