View Full Version : MP3 DRM To Be Shown at CeBit

Kent Pribbernow
03-04-2004, 02:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/36000.html' target='_blank'>http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/36000.html</a><br /><br /></div>"LWDRM requires the user to register with a digital signature certification authority. The technology blocks all attempts to copy the file until the owner is "willing to autograph the purchased content with his personal digital signature". At that point, the file can be transferred to a portable player or to "family and friends, adhering to the prevalent legislation and the rules of fair use", Fraunhofer said. <br /><br />If the user shares the file via Kazaa or some other P2P network, his or her digital signature reveals just who "leaked" the content, and appropriate action can be taken. Content is protected using Fraunhofer's own watermarking technology and AES-level encryption."<br /><br />This sounds very interesting, although I suspect it will cause a a great deal of outrage among P2P fans. But if it helps stop piracy, I'm all for it. Of course, I believe the real solution is to shut down ALL file swapping networks. <br /> :wink:

Gary Sheynkman
03-04-2004, 02:32 AM
This sounds very interesting, although I suspect it will cause a a great deal of outrage among P2P fans. But if it helps stop piracy, I'm all for it. Of course, I believe the real solution is to shut down ALL file swapping networks.
:wink:

I give it 2 weeks before a converter shows up online :wink:

klinux
03-04-2004, 03:16 AM
While I am against piracy, shutting down P2P network would consitute an infringement in free speech in that P2P can be used to share any digital file, not just copyrighted mateial.

The fact no P2P network has ever been shutdown further illustrates that fact.

Annnyways, how does this benefit the consumers? If FH/Dolby are not offerning anything new why should consumers go for it when there are so many better alternatives out there (AAC, Ogg, WMA, etc)?

Jason Dunn
03-04-2004, 03:54 AM

I don't know about that - has anyone cracked the windows Media DRM? I haven't heard of it happening yet...remember that DRM based on authenticating with a server on the other end is quite a different story than cracking local bits. Ultimately no audio format can be 100% secure - you can always record the audio stream during playback.

Makes you wonder what happened to mp3PRO, doesn't it?

Tim Williamson
03-04-2004, 05:39 AM
This sounds very interesting, although I suspect it will cause a a great deal of outrage among P2P fans. But if it helps stop piracy, I'm all for it. Of course, I believe the real solution is to shut down ALL file swapping networks.
:wink:

You mean to tell me it hasn't been cracked yet??? ;)

Crocuta
03-05-2004, 05:33 AM
There's probably no getting around that someone will crack the thing, but the more important thing to me is that it's a DRM concept that I can live with. What I demand in buying digtal media is 1) I must be able to continue using it perpetually (i.e. not time limited), 2) I must be able to use it on any device I own or may own in the future that supports that standard, and 3) my family must also be able to use it. Until then, I'll either not buy DRM-protected products or I'll find my own way around those limitations (for my own use only).

In the instant case, this looks pretty reasonable. I'm not restricted from using my content on any device, moving it around, archiving it, passing it along to my wife, etc. It also sounds to me as if, once the file is encoded with my name, there need be no further contact with the publisher. That's also important in case someone goes out of business.

The only thing this really limits is mass distribution on the Net and I really don't care what happens to those people. Sounds fair to me as long as I don't have to pay some huge annual fee to the registration authority.

ctmagnus
03-05-2004, 06:41 AM
Hm... Kinda like Palm Reader's DRM management. :way to go: