View Full Version : Minolta S414 4MP (need input)

Macguy59
03-02-2004, 05:30 PM
Anyone have an opinion on this camera? I can get this brand new in box for $200. For 4MP and 4x optical it [seems] like a good deal if the picture quality is there. I have read some reviews of which they are very high on the camera. The consistent drawback seems to be poor battery life. Thanks all.

Lee Yuan Sheng
03-02-2004, 09:20 PM
It's a bit big, if I'm remembering the model correctly.. if you don't mind, and if the battery life isn't terribly bad, I think it'll do just fine.

Suhit Gupta
03-03-2004, 12:00 AM
Sexy little unit. But it needs 4 AA batteries. So either stock up, or get rechargeables ;-)

Suhit

Macguy59
03-03-2004, 12:04 AM
Sexy little unit. But it needs 4 AA batteries. So either stock up, or get rechargeables ;-)

Suhit

Yup. My Canon A40 uses 4 also and I always use rechargeable :D

Gary Sheynkman
03-03-2004, 12:07 AM
looks kinda like a nikon...only cheaper and from a great company. You found a great price...go for it :D

Suhit Gupta
03-03-2004, 12:51 AM
How long do they last on one full charge?

Suhit

Suhit Gupta
03-03-2004, 12:53 AM
looks kinda like a nikon...only cheaper and from a great company. You found a great price...go for it :D
$200 is a great price, the cheapest I see it for is $218 + Tax & S&H

Suhit

Macguy59
03-03-2004, 01:32 AM
How long do they last on one full charge?

Suhit

To be honest I couldn't tell you because I've never run out of power while taking pics. Back in August while in Vegas I shot apprx 50 shots over the course of 2 days (with LCD off) and never had a battery warning. I was using full Auto and Super Fine setting.

Macguy59
03-03-2004, 01:35 AM
ARRRGGGHHHHH

A good friend of mine just emailed me and has offered to sell me his Sony DSC-S85 for the same price. From what I have been able to Google this camera was more expensive and has gotten excellent reviews to.
What to do . . . what to do ?

P.S. Yeah I know about the memory stick (He will throw in a 128MB with the camera)

Gary Sheynkman
03-03-2004, 01:42 AM
ARRRGGGHHHHH

A good friend of mine just emailed me and has offered to sell me his Sony DSC-S85 for the same price. From what I have been able to Google this camera was more expensive and has gotten excellent reviews to.

P.S. Yeah I know about the memory stick (He will throw in a 128MB with the camera)

oh that is a tough one. The s85 is certainly a much older camera (2001 i think) but it started out with a hefty price tag of 800 dollars. Judging from Ebay your friend is giving you a good price (especially if the memstick is included in the price)....its a hard choice.

Try give both camera's a feel before you plunk down any cash for them.

Good luck, tell us how it goes

Macguy59
03-03-2004, 01:49 AM
ARRRGGGHHHHH

oh that is a tough one. The s85 is certainly a much older camera (2001 i think) but it started out with a hefty price tag of 800 dollars. Judging from Ebay your friend is giving you a good price (especially if the memstick is included in the price)....its a hard choice.

Try give both camera's a feel before you plunk down any cash for them.

Good luck, tell us how it goes

Thanks. I think I'm going to go for the Minolta. Something about memory sticks make me feel unclean :mrgreen:

Suhit Gupta
03-03-2004, 02:08 AM
Thanks. I think I'm going to go for the Minolta. Something about memory sticks make me feel unclean :mrgreen:
I second that. I just wish manufacturers would standardize on one (at the most two) flash standards - obviously CF and SD would be my votes.

Suhit

Macguy59
03-03-2004, 02:18 AM
I second that. I just wish manufacturers would standardize on one (at the most two) flash standards - obviously CF and SD would be my votes.

Suhit

As would I. Fits better with my Pocket PC and MS Smartphone.

Gary Sheynkman
03-03-2004, 02:52 AM
memory stick is very handy if you have a sony camcorder/pda/camera/tv :lol: ...exactly what sony wants