View Full Version : Preview of the Recently Announced Nikon D70

Suhit Gupta
03-02-2004, 06:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://dpmac.com/d70-review/index.html' target='_blank'>http://dpmac.com/d70-review/index.html</a><br /><br /></div>Nikon announced the D70 earlier this year and it has been generating a lot of buzz. The D70 is Nikon's response to Canon's EOS 300D (announced August 2003) in the sub-$1,000 digital SLR market. The Nikon D70 is based on it's older sibling, the D100 (similar to the relationship between the Canon EOS 300D and the 10D).<br /><br />George Mann has a short preview of this very cool device.

sundown
03-02-2004, 06:24 PM
WOW, but I can't wait to see more. I have been waiting for Nikon's answer to Canon because I don't want to have to go out and buy new lenses. Interesting that they would choose "D70" and I wonder what, if any, similarities there are to my N70.

Thanks for the post. I hadn't seen that anywhere else yet.

Lee Yuan Sheng
03-02-2004, 09:15 PM
There isn't. The D70 is essentially the D100 Part II which in turn is a digital F80. with some features taken out, and some features added and improved. Feature for feature, it is better than the 300D, and seeing you have Nikon lenses (I assume that since you have a F70), I think it's a good buy if you're looking for a DSLR.

James Fee
03-02-2004, 10:55 PM
This is giving me buyers remorse about my purchase of my D100 2 months ago. I saw this on the horizon, but I was expecting it to be a lesser model than it turned out to be. I might have to ebay the D100 and get the D70. I hate these choices. :twisted:

Lee Yuan Sheng
03-02-2004, 11:22 PM
No you shouldn't. Why in the world you want to do that? It's not like the D100 isn't taking terrible pictures, is it? Stick to the D100 and produce some nice photos instead.

Gary Sheynkman
03-02-2004, 11:38 PM
No you shouldn't. Why in the world you want to do that? It's not like the D100 isn't taking terrible pictures, is it? Stick to the D100 and produce some nice photos instead.

He is right...the man makes the camera...not the other way around :wink:

James Fee
03-03-2004, 12:04 AM
No you shouldn't. Why in the world you want to do that?
Yea I know... You look at the specs and see the price and I just want to bang my head on the door. :oops: Other than MAYBE wanting the USB 2.0 interface from time to time (yea not that much at all), there really isn't much there. From what I've read, the D70 is just a little faster on the shutter, but I have not run into any problems with that.
It's not like the D100 isn't taking terrible pictures, is it? Stick to the D100 and produce some nice photos instead.
I get a huge smile on my face everytime I get back home and look at what I've taken. You are quite right. :D

Lee Yuan Sheng
03-03-2004, 12:16 AM
Yea I know... You look at the specs and see the price and I just want to bang my head on the door. :oops: Other than MAYBE wanting the USB 2.0 interface from time to time (yea not that much at all), there really isn't much there. From what I've read, the D70 is just a little faster on the shutter, but I have not run into any problems with that.

I know that feeling, but that is the problem with anything digital. The advances in technology are extremely fast.

The D70 and D100 should have very similar shutter lag and mirror blackout speeds. I'm guessing the positive spin is by those who just bought the thing (need to justify the purchase).

I get a huge smile on my face everytime I get back home and look at what I've taken. You are quite right. :D

That's great! Keep shooting, keep learning, keep improving. As you get better, the gratification goes up too!