View Full Version : Bad DVD-R media!?

Connoisseur
02-28-2004, 11:41 PM
I just bought a spindle pack of 25 DVD-Rs. They are 4X Memorex. I burned a video project to the first DVD no problem. My next two copies I tried burning were bad disks it seems!!! What is the deal? Are there known bad brands for DVD-Rs out there, or is it possible that my external TDK DVD burner just doesn't like Memorex? Perhaps TDK brand DVD's are most reliable for TDK burner? I'm just pissed because 2 of my first 3 disks are wasted for no good reason. The second 2 started okay and then crapped out midway through the burn. Any thoughts on this out there, is this even common to get bad disks? I figured Memorex was a well known decent brand, but maybe not. I'm new to these things. I've only created one video project thus far (Christmas footage for 2003) and I have had only one successful burn from my image file. Any expert advice on brands or combinations to avoid would be appreciated.

Regards,
Connoisseur

Suhit Gupta
02-29-2004, 01:29 AM
So sorry to hear of your bad experience. I have a spindle of 25 from Memorex as well and have used 5 so far and all of them have been ok. I also had one TDK that worked fine.

What software are you using? And did you leave on buffer underrun protection turned on (if your drive supports it)? What exactly was the error you got when the discs failed to burn correctly?

Suhit

Connoisseur
02-29-2004, 07:44 PM
To be honest with you, I don't remember what the error message was because I didn't write it down... pretty dumb of me. I am too new to this stuff I guess. I'm not certain about the burn settings you referenced, but I am using Roxio DVD Builder that came with my external TDK burner when I bought it. I haven't played much with the configuration of my settings. I am trying a few burns today and will see if any of my DVD-R's has any problems. I'll note the errors if they happen again. I'm crossing my fingers, though, and hoping the first few bad disks were aberrations.

Thanks for the input,
Connoisseur

Gary Sheynkman
02-29-2004, 08:40 PM
thats odd...memorex is a BIG time blank media supplier...all my CD-Rs are memorex and not one ever went bad (i went through a spindle recently)

sorry to hear about your troubles