View Full Version : image attachments?

groan
02-23-2004, 04:09 AM
Jason, any chance that you will allow image attachments in the photo section to show off our stuff?

Gary Sheynkman
02-23-2004, 04:45 AM
Most ISPs provide some webspace for their subscribers....all you have to do is link. Also some image servers (like fotki) let you have a small account for free.

I think it is a great idea but with the expected user base i have no clue how many gigabyte of dedicated photo storage Jason will need 8O

Jason Dunn
02-23-2004, 06:14 AM
It's something we're considering, but the reality is that the disk space requirements would be HUGE for something like that over time. Other forums that allow file/image uploads have database sizes in the multi-GB range...where as even on PPCT, our database of over 213,000 posts is only 300 MB or so.

We may enable this as an option for subscribers - that would help limit the overall impact, and allow us to pay for the hardware costs of implementing it.

groan
02-23-2004, 02:12 PM
Sounds good.
it just stands to reason that as a digital imaging forum and website, that images would be allowed.
in the meantime, i guess we'll have to settle with hosting our own (which i can do anyways, but i was thinking f those who can't).

Thanks!

Gary Sheynkman
02-24-2004, 12:31 AM
Jason I hope you can get a lot of space for all those Barney avatars! :lol:

Jason Dunn
02-24-2004, 12:35 AM
Sounds good. it just stands to reason that as a digital imaging forum and website, that images would be allowed.

Sure, that makes sense, but the potential for abuse is also a little frightening. I think tying it to our paying subscriber system makes sense, because it will be a feature we can offer that will add value but be manageable. Stay tuned... :D

Lee Yuan Sheng
02-24-2004, 06:29 AM
Or the abuse of it as a hot-link depositary..

groan
02-24-2004, 02:16 PM
Sure, that makes sense, but the potential for abuse is also a little frightening. I think tying it to our paying subscriber system makes sense, because it will be a feature we can offer that will add value but be manageable.

Oh i will
i didnt subscribe over at PPCT because i dont use my PPC much, but i will be subscribing here for sure!

looking forward to it!

Jason Dunn
02-24-2004, 04:42 PM
Or the abuse of it as a hot-link depositary..

To protect ourselves from that, and to protect our bandwidth, we'll likely implement a solution that will only allow the images/videos to be displayed on Thoughts Media domains, and not outside them.

Honda_Civic_Si
03-03-2004, 01:05 AM
Speaking of subscribing, is there anyway to do a multi-subscribe deal to subscribe for one cost (maybe cheaper) to all three sites? Or maybe a combonation of your favourite two, i.e : DMT and PPCT?

-Justin.

Suhit Gupta
03-03-2004, 01:21 AM
Since we have just launched, this is still in the works. I am sure, though, that we will try and arrange for the best possible deal.

Suhit

Gary Sheynkman
03-03-2004, 01:34 AM
Speaking of subscribing, is there anyway to do a multi-subscribe deal to subscribe for one cost (maybe cheaper) to all three sites? Or maybe a combonation of your favourite two, i.e : DMT and PPCT?

-Justin.

Although Jason has the definite answer on this one, I believe a subscription to 1 site gives you a discount on another. But....it cant be the "lite" subscription in order to recieve the other site discount :)

SassKwatch
03-04-2004, 05:15 AM
Sure, that makes sense, but the potential for abuse is also a little frightening. I think tying it to our paying subscriber system makes sense, because it will be a feature we can offer that will add value but be manageable. Stay tuned... :D
I would presume images could still be linked from our own site.(??)

I think it's great you're considering that, but it surprises me also....for all the reasons already discussed. There are so many places folks can get a free (albeit generally fairly small/limited), I'm not sure I understand the need.

Jason Dunn
03-04-2004, 05:47 AM
I would presume images could still be linked from our own site.(??)

I think it's great you're considering that, but it surprises me also....for all the reasons already discussed. There are so many places folks can get a free (albeit generally fairly small/limited), I'm not sure I understand the need.

We'd never prevent people from linking to images on their own Web sites. In terms of why we'd do this, I think it's really a matter of convenience - it's easier to upload an image/video/audio file directly into a post you're making rather than firing up an FTP client and setting things up externally.