View Full Version : Powershot Pro 1

Gary Sheynkman
02-16-2004, 06:34 AM
8-megapixel (effective) CCD sensor; f/2.4-to-f/3.5, 28mm-to-200mm (35mm-camera equivalent) 7X zoom lens; CompactFlash Type I and II media

Canon is going head-to-head with Sony in the 8-megapixel space. The top-of-the-line enthusiast cam from each company offers a fast, high-end lens. Sony's is a little quicker, but Canon's is a little cheaper. The Pro 1 is definitely a model to watch.

Courtesy of CNET

I am very interested in this camera since it uses the same 8mp chip as the new sony pro-sumer 8mp offering.

The L Lens makes it a difficult desicion to make: get a complete package with a great lens, or spring for the rebel....

looking soon for reviews...i recommend www.dpreview.com and this site :wink: once it opens

Jason Dunn
02-17-2004, 05:07 PM
Indeed, that's an interesting camera! I look forward to reading a review of it, especially it's performance vs. the Rebel. I have a hard time looking at anything that's bigger than my S400 though that it's an DSLR - if I'm going to go "big" I might as well go all the way (for my needs).

Gary Sheynkman
02-17-2004, 11:20 PM
see but there is a problem that plagues these cameras

the 828, 8700 and pro1 use a TINY sensor with 8mp ....this creates noise as opposed to a +-6 megapixel camera with a BIG sensor....much better quality (think slr vs. expensive soapbox)

The camera Im looking forward to now is the Nikon D70 (think rebel but with everything times 20) its 1k body 1.3k with 1 lens and 1.5k with 2 sigma lenses and a bag

Lee Yuan Sheng
02-21-2004, 12:02 AM
Ugh, no Stigma lenses! :lol:

Jason Dunn
02-21-2004, 12:16 AM
Ugh, no Stigma lenses! :lol:

Stigma? I take it you don't like Sigma lenses? I've never used one, so I have no opinion. :D

Lee Yuan Sheng
02-21-2004, 01:29 AM
Yup, one of my few biases, hehe. Sigma lenses are disposable lenses. =P

Gary Sheynkman
02-21-2004, 06:40 PM
Yup, one of my few biases, hehe. Sigma lenses are disposable lenses. =P

Disposable?!?! $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Suhit Gupta
02-21-2004, 10:34 PM
Well, while people are mentioning their hate for Sigma lenses (which I hate too), I would like to mention that Tamron lenses suck too. One may be sucked into buying Tamron lenses due to the incredibly cheap prices, but beware... neither Sigma nor Tamron are any comparison to Canon or Nikon (or Minolta which is usually considered a close second).

Suhit

Lee Yuan Sheng
02-22-2004, 02:09 AM
On no, you certainly got your lenses backwards.. Tamron are among the best of the 3rd party lens makers, but they stagnated for a while and were coming out with the superzooms. Look out for the new Di line.

Suhit Gupta
02-22-2004, 05:33 AM
Perhaps you have had a better experience than me with Tamron. I have always found them to be larger and heavier than the equivalent Canon or Nikon lenses. Plus, I have generally found them to be slower. I realize this is vague, but this is all from personal experience with a couple of Tamron lenses. I inherited a second-hand 200-400mm a few years ago and it gave very so-so pictures, especially at 400.

Suhit

Lee Yuan Sheng
02-22-2004, 06:48 AM
The 200-400 is an average lens, the better lenses have the SP designation. Now, I'm pretty sure your statement on them being larger and heavier is missing something, but you are being a bit vague here. And if they're slower, I guess that can't be helped if you're on a Canon system; third party makes tend to incorporate slower motors.

marlof
03-04-2004, 08:40 PM
I don't know about Tamron in the past, but the new Di line (http://www.tamron.com/di.htm) gets pretty good reviews.