View Full Version : What instrument do you play?

Gary Sheynkman
02-02-2004, 05:15 AM
Since you ventured into this forum... what instrument do you play?

me:
Ive been playing piano for several years and dropped that about a year ago due to not having enough time for it. Im going to take a guitar class my senior (next) year in highschool 8) :rock on dude!:

JR
02-02-2004, 06:01 AM
I am not active anymore, but played piano for about 10 years and bass for about 4. I also tried sax for about a year, but didn't stick to it.

Janak Parekh
02-02-2004, 07:04 AM
I played the piano for ~ 10 years too! I also used to sing in high school. I dropped both. :cry: Maybe one of these days I'll pick up a MIDI keyboard...

--janak

Godsongz
02-02-2004, 07:12 AM
Played guitar when I was a teenager but gave it up after a year. Everything I played always sounded too mechanical to me. I was proficient enough to play the notes and chords but I couldn't come close to making music. Now at the ripe age of 38 I've decided to learn to play an instrument in 2004, and I've chosen the harmonica. Easier to carry than a piano.

Jason Dunn
02-02-2004, 08:11 AM
I play bass guitar - good ol' four string. I've got an Ibanez bass that's pretty beat up, but it serves me well. I have a Peavey Firebass head (750 watts I believe) and a 2 x 10" cabinet. I also have a Fender head and a 1 x 15" cab that is buried in my basement...it's supposed to be for practising, but, well, I've never been very good at practising. :lol:

I've been playing for twelve years, but it doesn't really show. :lol: I also sing, and lately I think I'm a better vocalist than a bass player, but it depends on how my voice is doing that particular day.

JR
02-02-2004, 05:15 PM
Now at the ripe age of 38 I've decided to learn to play an instrument in 2004, and I've chosen the harmonica. Easier to carry than a piano.

How are you finding it? I've thought about taking it up a few times. As you say, very portable. Could be fun around the campfire...

Suhit Gupta
02-02-2004, 05:31 PM
Well, I played the keyboard a bit as a kid (self taught though) and even tried learning guitar for a couple of years, but ultimately it was quite evident that I wasn't really musically gifted. I was watching an episode of M*A*S*H and Charles Winchester (David Ogden Stiers) said it best - I can play the notes but I can't make music.

Anyways, I like messing around with my Technics turntables now, I own a bunch of vinyl and mixing music can be fun. :)

Suhit

Godsongz
02-02-2004, 05:32 PM
More complicated than I thought but at the same time its a very enjoyable learning process. When you hit one too many sour notes, just remember to pull the harmonica away from your mouth before you laugh at yourself or you end up frightening the dog.

A fellow parishioner at my church is an avid harmonica player and he told me the secret to learning it is to pick one song that you really like, play it over and over again until its the song you hate most in the whole world of music, and by that time you'll find that you can play anything.

Russell
02-03-2004, 11:00 PM
I thought for sure their would be a poll in here from Gary. :lol:

I play the guitar and a little bit of drums and Harmonica. I have found that certain harps are easier to play. For instance, I find the key of G harp a lot easier to play than a key of C.

Most music stores have some kind of device to put air through different harps so you can give them all a try.

TimH
02-09-2004, 04:19 AM
I've been playing guitar now for some 9 years. I also sing.

I have the honor of playing with Jason Dunn every week at our church

Gary Sheynkman
02-22-2004, 05:03 PM
I've been playing guitar now for some 9 years. I also sing.

I have the honor of playing with Jason Dunn every week at our church
honor...or horror??? :?: :lol:

Lee Yuan Sheng
02-23-2004, 01:54 AM
OT: Gary, you asking for a Barney avatar, aren't you? =P

Gary Sheynkman
02-23-2004, 03:09 AM
OT: Gary, you asking for a Barney avatar, aren't you? =P

largely depends on the barney

This one http://www.rachelleshaw.com/barney.gif

This one http://www.shiftyeye.com/images/madness/sidekicks/barney.jpg

or this one....hehehe

http://www.finalesimpsons.de/content/grab_pics/philipp/barney.gif

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

encece
05-29-2004, 05:30 AM
Played drums (loudly & poorly) very briefly in a garage band about 15 years ago. I was a quick fill in for a drummer who was kicked out.

I know most natural chords on a guitar but there is always a delay when switching between them.

I can tinkle on the piano. Playing chords with my right hand but never use more than two fingers with my left. I had a nice beginners Roland (D-5 I believe) years ago and a midi sequencer. I could record a few songs playing all the instruments on the keys. I should have stuck with it or took formal training. I'm too lazy!