View Full Version : How do you print your digital pictures?

Gary Sheynkman
02-02-2004, 05:07 AM
In buying a digital camera, you try to save the hassle of buying tape and carrying it to the store every time. On the other hand... photo paper is $$$ printer toners/cartriges are $$$

Personally I found that using your regular inkjet printer is VERY constly

So whats your way?

Honda_Civic_Si
02-02-2004, 05:20 AM
Well - I picked the first option because I have a printer that is an inkjet, but it is no ordinary injket. It is a HP Photosmart 7760 Printer with Photo paper widths, borderless printing, special photo catridge, 1.8" Colour LCD screen for printing from 7 different storage cards :D

It is costly, but its also so much fun :D

-Justin.

JR
02-02-2004, 05:25 AM
Well, I haven't yet. I've procrastinated way too long. I do have a CD burned and as soon as the weather improves a little, I'll be dropping it off at Costco. I'm interested to see how much 300+ (all doubles...some triples) will cost me. 8O

Honda_Civic_Si
02-02-2004, 05:31 AM
Are you serious JR? Thats going to cost a lot!

Real Canadian Superstore is cheap too...

-Justin.

JR
02-02-2004, 06:06 AM
Are you serious JR? Thats going to cost a lot!

Real Canadian Superstore is cheap too...

-Justin.

Yeah, I know. My wife and I are probably going to trim it down actually.

Do you know how much it is at Superstore offhand for a 5x7? It's $0.25 per print at Costco (no deal for doubles/triples/etc.).

Jason Dunn
02-02-2004, 08:06 AM
I use my Canon i950 for printing, and the results are awesome. Yes, Costco would be cheaper, but the convenience factor is what really makes it worthwhile for me. If I need a big print, say 16" x 20", I use www.ofoto.com - they have excellent print quality. Our local Costco can only do 8 x 12. Yes, 8 x 12 - they don't even do a zoom and crop, they just use paper double the size of a 4x6. :roll: They do it to save money, but find me an 8 x 12 frame... :?

Philip Colmer
02-02-2004, 11:09 AM
I currently use an Epson 950 (I think that is the 960 in the US) but I'm looking to change it, either for the R800 or for a Canon, primarily because there seems to be a design flaw with regard to the CD printing function.

--Philip

bryus
02-02-2004, 05:58 PM
I use my Canon S630 inkjet. It has good color and quality at a reasonable price. I have been using Kodak glossy photo paper and the results are good. My wife uses it for printing her scrapbooking photos.

I am going to see how my Epson CX5200 multifunction does with photos once I replace the color ink in it.

ux4484
02-02-2004, 07:10 PM
I'm not locked down on any one procedure yet, though I do exclusively edit and print my Olympus C-700 pics on my HP 1215 Photosmart, but For my "Other camera" (an Argus M5700D: AF 38-135mm zoom) I do a "double": I get them developed at Wal-Mart, but I always get the 99 cent digital download version of the pics directly from the stores developer (you upload the pics to Wal-Marts site via the developers batch number, and then download them to your PC in three resolutions up to 2mp). This has worked great for me, and gives me the freedom to have one set in hand, and also have them digitally. This saves me a tremendous amount of time and is actually less expensive than the batteries/paper/ink/time cost of being exclusively digital. The Olympus is too bulky to go on vacation, so it's relegated to "events" like school stuff, recitals, Holidays and the like, so the Argus gets still gets the bulk of the work. The Argus goes on trips because it's light, fast, and I won't be crying a river if it gets broke or lost.

Had Wal-Mart had the digital downloads for a buck when my Mrs gave my my Olympus, I might have had her take it back. I do like it, but it is so (physically)clumsy, slow, and battery eating compared to even the cheapest point and shoot 35mm that my Wal-Mart method is seeming more logical/better to me every time I do it.

The big advantage (for me) with digital is having a large card for the camera and taking gobs of shots, so you'll be able to filter through them later and only print the GEMS, which is why I do still use it for "events".

Now if I can just finish scanning 30 years of negatives and prints that we have from BEFORE the digital revolution...

aroma
02-02-2004, 07:16 PM
Depends. For most of my day-to-day stuff, I print on my own photo printer at home. If I need larger prints, then I use a photo lab. Or now that I've started dabling a little in the professional side of things, if I need prints for a client, then I use a photo lab as well.

- Aaron

Lotto
02-06-2004, 03:32 PM
I use my Epson printer for most things. I really don't end up printing that many true photographs. I do print pictures on cards alot. Make all my own Xmas, birthday all holiday cards for family, with picutres of my kids. These are many times printed just on bright white paper, not photo paper.

I also do pictures for the wall, and many times pictures with frames and glass do not need photo paper. It's more a matter of learning what your printer is capable of.

Macguy59
03-06-2004, 04:38 AM
Using an Epson Stylus Photo 925. Excellent photo prints but not nearly as fast as the Canon's (though contrast is much better on the Epson IMO)

jake080
04-17-2004, 04:33 AM
I use a Canon i850, its great, i suppose the newer models are only better though!!

~Jake

smokinvegas
12-21-2004, 11:13 PM
The other day I went samsclub.com and ordered prints I just selected pics from my hard drive I uploaded them and then went to my local sams club and picked them up. The prints were 35mm quality and I didn"t have to waste my ink in my hp officejet. The price was very reasonable.

Alpha2004
12-21-2004, 11:34 PM
I use snapfish's digi printing service

jarhead
01-09-2005, 04:04 AM
For day to day printing, or for photo projects, I use my HP Photosmart 7760. For larger print jobs, for example, following a family vacation or Christmas, I send my photos through walmart.com and pick them up an hour later. .19 a piece, you can't beat that. It is a heck of a lot cheaper than running it through my printer. I haven't had the cajones to send my pictures through an on-line mail service though. You never know who you are sending pictures of your babies to!

Roger Krueger
02-17-2006, 03:45 AM
I've never really seen inkjet output that appealed to me--except maybe quad black on heavy rag paper--and I've got enough cantankerous machinery in my life.

For quick prints I go to Target.

For decent quality and a wider range of papers I use mpix, ofoto or ezprints, depending on who has the better pricing and fit to the media and sizes I want that day.

For the stuff where my original has more resolution than the mass market online places provide I get 400dpi Lightjet output from www.reedphoto.com in Denver.

I keep meaning to try the quad black piezography prints from West Coast Imaging. I really like their samples, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I also keep meaning to try the digital to b&w fiber paper via Durst Lambda from http://elevatordigital.ca/ but they're seriously expensive--$40 for an 8x10. I mean, it makes sense they're expensive, archival processing of fiber paper is a lot of trouble, but sheesh...

All of these (except the untried piezography from WCI) are traditional light-exposed paper processes.

charlie
03-20-2007, 11:53 PM
Now a days I use a digital picture frame (http://www.e-bowl.co.uk/category/222) rather than print

digitaldallas
06-28-2007, 01:33 AM
Hello:

I own a printing company and could do the prints very cheaply but I will say the products at Target & Walmart are pretty good and cheap. You just have to deal with the less than friendly workers(Walmart).

Buzz:
http://www.odeecompany.com The Odee Company - Digital Printing Services