View Full Version : PPC Software for Digital Photography?

Godsongz
02-01-2004, 08:16 PM
Hmmm, forums for Windows Software for Digital Photography, Mac Software for Digital Photography.... we need a PocketPC Software for Digital Photography! :lol:

I entered the beta program for SPB's new "Imageer" product and I'm sorry to say that a busy life just got in the way and I couldn't participate the way I'd intended. Never even sent in a single comment, well, yet anyway. :oops: I do have a few thoughts I should send in. Love the software though and even though I probably won't be getting my free copy for being a beta tester, I'll still buy this one. Very slick and powerful software for a PPC.

Jason Dunn
02-02-2004, 12:48 AM
Hmm...you're right, we almost need a forum for "other platforms" or something like Pocket PC, Palm, etc.

I think that when Imageer is released to the public, you'll like it. I'm biased of course, because I helped create it, but I still think it kicks ass. :lol:

Suhit Gupta
02-02-2004, 02:56 AM
I have to support Jason here. I tried the beta version of Imageer briefly and it rocks. Very easy to use, and nice interface IMHO.

Although, I like Pocket Artist very much too. It is the Photoshop for the PPC. Yeah, it would be good to have a PPC software for Digital Photography section. I think there might be sufficient interest in this area, or do we just forward such requests to PPCT ;-). Jason?

Suhit

Honda_Civic_Si
02-02-2004, 03:49 AM
Oh, I love Pocket Artist!

I am going to have to check out Imageer then, sounds cool. Is it like Pocket Artist or is it completely different?

-Justin.

Suhit Gupta
02-02-2004, 03:57 AM
I am going to have to check out Imageer then, sounds cool. Is it like Pocket Artist or is it completely different?

Justin,

Imageer is actually not much of an editing tool, though one can make minor edits to pictures. However, it has VERY nice album and slideshow tools.

Suhit

Honda_Civic_Si
02-02-2004, 03:58 AM
Oh, I see.

It'll be good then for showing my friends pictures I suppose!

-Justin.

Suhit Gupta
02-02-2004, 04:02 AM
Oh, I see.
It'll be good then for showing my friends pictures I suppose!

Oh yeah, it is a fast little program and can handle large images (6MP from personal experience) images very nicely.

Suhit

JR
02-02-2004, 04:11 AM
I used Resco's Picture Viewer for a while. I have been fortunate enough to also see Imageer in beta. I won't be looking any further. Imageer is solid!

aroma
02-02-2004, 08:47 PM
Pocket Loupe (http://www.glasslantern.com/products/PocketLoupe/index.htm) by Glass Lantern is a very nice application.

- Aaron

Godsongz
02-02-2004, 08:56 PM
hmm, at $35 Pocket Loupe is still a little pricey for PPC software, but I seem to remember it being much higher than that. Wasn't it once over $50 somewhere?

aroma
02-02-2004, 09:03 PM
hmm, at $35 Pocket Loupe is still a little pricey for PPC software

You can get a version of it for $20 that supports jpeg formats. The $35 version add support for most of the raw formats for many different makes of camers so that you can view the images straight from the camera without needing to convert to jpg. But this program, as the name may indicate, is designed to be more of a photographers companion than just a simple photo viewer or slideshow creator. I've not used a lot of other image applications on a PPC, but I'm not sure how many of the others show all of the relevent "shooting info" imbeded in the photos. (But this may just be my lack of knowledge of the other applications.)

- Aaron

Paul Martin
02-02-2004, 10:55 PM
Count my vote for Imageer for simple edits and a great viewer. I was fortunate to participate in the beta and offer minor feedback...did I mention MINOR, really really minor.... :) I have been using HP's built-in image viewer with my Jornada. Not anymore.

SassKwatch
03-02-2004, 05:10 AM
Pocket Loupe (http://www.glasslantern.com/products/PocketLoupe/index.htm) by Glass Lantern is a very nice application.

To the best of my knowledge, it's still the only PPC app capable of displaying .RAW files.

backpackerx
03-02-2004, 07:24 AM
I'll third (or fourth?) the recommendation for Imageer. I did the Beta testing too (got some of my suggestions implemented) and now have a complimentary copy. I really like the simple editing tools, especially the all in one wizard and for slideshows and viewing this app can't be beat. I love it!

Suhit Gupta
03-02-2004, 09:12 AM
And of course, version 1.1 of Imageer has just been released - http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/imageer/?en

Suhit

Timothy Huber
03-02-2004, 03:41 PM
And of course, version 1.1 of Imageer has just been released - http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/imageer/?en

Suhit

I didn't participate in the beta :wink: but after giving 1.0 a try picked it up for my Toshiba e805. Just loaded the update to 1.1 a few minutes ago. We went to Disneyworld last week, and used Imageer to preview our digital camera shots directly from the CF card, do a quick and brightness/contrast adjustment, fix red eye, and email Grandma & Grandpa. Our only wish was for VGA slideshow. Wish granted!

Frankly, even with a VGA display, a PPC is too small do to serious photo work. That being said, Imageer hits the sweet spot of functionality that I was looking for.

timothy

Leon
02-18-2006, 04:28 PM
To the best of my knowledge, it's still the only PPC app capable of displaying .RAW files.
Unfortunately, it doesn't really display the raw files. It displays the jpg that's embedded in the raw file. So, instead of seeing my 3500 x 2300 pixel raw file, I'm looking at the same 1500 x 1000 jpg that's displayed on the camera's LCD.

The good thing is that the screen of the PPC is larger than the LCD screen on camera, but obviously the drawback is you can't really judge a photo's sharpness from this small jpg. If it's bad on the PPC, it will be bad in reality, but if it seems good on the PPC, there's no guarantee it will be good on your PC as well.