View Full Version : Thought we could start an introduction thread...

aroma
02-01-2004, 01:52 PM
My name is Aaron and my interests lie with digital photography (currently shooting with a Canon 10D) and width digital video (currently shooting with a Sony TRV27).

Anyone else?

Lotto
02-01-2004, 02:20 PM
I have Canon Powershot A40. Never had any photography training, but love to tinker with it. Hope to learn more on how to play with my settings for some cool pictures that are out of the ordinary. I have a large creative side and have benn taking digital pics since my first digital camera. The Agfa ePhoto 307 (great 1st camera).

My 5 year old now uses it, and takes wonderful shots himself.

js415
02-01-2004, 03:40 PM
I have been a follower of PPCT's for a long time, and thought I would gain a little info here on how to best use my digital camera.
I have an old Olympus D-460 Zoom, 1.3 MegaPixel, and quite frankly, I have never been real happy with the picture quality I get from the camera. I hate the ones I try to print out, and in general figure I must be doing something wrong.
So, with that said, I look forward to learning how/what to do to make my digital experience better.

Jerry

ironguy
02-01-2004, 04:15 PM
I'm Dave, also a member of PPCT as I bet many will be.

I currently have a Sony TRV-22 videocam, an HP720 digital camera.

My Dad who passed away last September got me into digital photography. He was tired of pictures all over the place so he bought a digital camera. Whe a birthday came up, you were sure to receive a 'personalized' card from him with some of your embarrassing moments in living color!

exiii
02-01-2004, 04:24 PM
exiii.

Minolta DiMage G500 digital camera.
Canon ZR40 digital video camera.
I used to play around with digital music. Maybe the forums here will get me excited about it again.

Lee Yuan Sheng
02-01-2004, 06:59 PM
Hello all! I'm a fairly young chap with an old school philosophy towards photography, be it in film, digital, colour, b&w, large format, small format. I'm not interested in what camera or equipment we all use, instead I'm more interested in ideas invested in one's photography and the results out from it. I can be fairly blunt, so I'll apologise if that doesn't sit too well with your ego, and I'd like to come to a site where for once the discussion isn't so focused on equipment and senseless praising.

I look forward to sharing ideas and thoughts in this new realm of digital media, and I also hope that I can contribute with some old school philosophies; sometimes old stuff ain't all that bad!

bleeman
02-01-2004, 07:56 PM
Hi everyone!

I've been "tinkering" with photography for quite a few years, but not much beyond pulling the camera out for the usual events (Holidays, Family gatherings, vacations etc.). I'm at a point in my life where I'm tired of sitting in front of the keyboard 'round the clock so to speak and ready to take my digital camera (Sony MVC-CD400) and "go crazy" 8O In my younger days I was hesitant to take a lot of pictures as I couldn't always afford the processing. Now that I'm digital I have to break myself of old habits and start having some fun with my camera!

I'm looking forward to seeing this site take off and interacting with all of you.

Godsongz
02-01-2004, 08:00 PM
I'm Dave, also a member of PPCT as I bet many will be.

Also a Dave here, also PPCT member, and also agree that we'll likely see a lot of spillover between the sites. Perhaps even more spillover between PPCT and DMT that between PPCT and SPT.

I bought myself the Canon Digital Rebel for my birthday a month and a half ago, and roughtly 1000 shots later I am still very much enjoying this brilliant camera. Looking forward to using this site extensively to increase my knowledge of digital photography.

dean_shan
02-01-2004, 11:03 PM
Hello all. I am Dean and I am also a PPCT user. I have a Canon Powershot S200 and a Sony TRV-330 Digital 8 camera.

Jason Dunn
02-02-2004, 01:09 AM
Great idea to get things started!

At the moment, I own a Canon S400 and a Canon Digital Rebel. I had a G2 and an S110, but I sold one and gave the other one away. I like to be efficient with my possessions. ;-) I also own a Canon GL2, which is the first video camera I've ever owned. It's a "whole lotta' camera" for one's first purchase, but I had the fortune (misfortune for my bank account) of testing nine different cameras for the digital video book I wrote (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0735618739/jasondunn-20) (affiliate) and once I tried the GL2, the others just paled in comparison...it's got such amazing image quality.

Of course, now that I have semi-pro gear, learning to use it like a pro is another matter entirely. ;-) After years of trying to figure it out, I still can't adequately explain things like f/stop, aperture, etc...

JR
02-02-2004, 02:06 AM
Another PPCT user here.

I purchased a Canon S50 digital camera and a Canon Elura 50 digital video camera last year. I bought them because my wife was pregnant with our first and figured we'd need them.

Our son is now here and we are using both cameras quite a bit. I planned to read up on all the features of each and even bought a couple of books (including Jason's). Unfortunately our son came almost three weeks early so I didn't get a chance to read anything.

I am looking forward to reading all about digital media as it's an entirely new area for me.

Suhit Gupta
02-02-2004, 02:41 AM
Nice to see so many responses already :).

I am a huge PPCT and SPT reader as well, though I have never chosen to post much. I think that is going to soon change with my involvement with DMT :). I currently own a Canon EOS 10D (my precioussss!!!), a Canon S300, S230 and S400 (clearly I love the Powershot product line) and a Casio Exilim Z4. I have also played a fair bit with a Canon XL1 digital video camera.

Oh, and on the audio side of things, I just purchased an iRiver iHP 140 and am extremely happy with it.

Anyways, hope too see as many of you participate here as possible.

Cheers
Suhit

Kent Pribbernow
02-02-2004, 03:03 AM
Good way to break the ice, Aaron. :)

I use a Canon PowerShot A40. It's a good overall camera for mainstream photography. Takes beautiful outdoor photos, but indoors aren't as good. I may upgrade to a better DC later this year.

Anyway, welcome to Digital Media Thoughts. Hope to see all of you here regularly. :D

Honda_Civic_Si
02-02-2004, 03:45 AM
Ah, yes!

Digital Media is something that I wish to get into more, I have a great camera, Samsung Digimax 360 and a great new printer, the HP photosmart 7760!

I have tons of cool photo paper, and I want to get the best pictures and look on everything I do.

This shall be a nice place :D

-Justin.

Paul Martin
02-02-2004, 05:05 AM
PPCT groupie too. :D

I received a digitial camera for Christmas, Casio Exilim EX-Z4. Though it's my first quality digital camera, I've been playing with the camera attachment for my Jornada for quite a while.

Paul

backpackerx
02-02-2004, 06:52 AM
Hi all, I'm Ben and also a PPCT reader. I recently went digital with a Canon A70. Before, I used a Canon Rebel SLR for my more serious photographic endeavors. Looking forward to learning a lot of new stuff through the forums. Keep up the good work Jason!

bryus
02-02-2004, 05:54 PM
I am learning to use Adobe Photoshop to work with my digital photos. My father want's me to scan and clean up some old family photos. Some are 50-80+ years old.

I also use my Canon S30 for the family camera.

I would like to get a digital camcorder like the Fisher CameraCorder, but they are a new concept and the prices are high.

ux4484
02-02-2004, 06:40 PM
ux4484

PPCT and Pocketfactory reader

Olympus C-700 digital (2.1mp/10 X optical zoom) and HP photosmart 1215 printer. Glad to see DMT finally up!

marlof
02-02-2004, 09:45 PM
Hi, my name is Marlof from PPCT, and I love Digital Media. I use a Minolta X700, a Minox GT/E, a Canon Digital Ixus 300, Leica Digilux 1 and a Sony DSC-F828 (and a Canon MV20i/Elura for video). I use both a WinXP box as Mac OS X to view and edit photographs. I guess I don't like to limit myself. :)

karinatwork
02-03-2004, 08:02 PM
Karin here, hello!

After owning a Nikon F400 with a much to big collection of heavy weight Nikkors in the past, and recently a Canon A20, now I am completely into my Canon S400. I was just tired of lugging all this equipment around with me, but I might get convinced to invest in a Digital Rebel... sometime soon.

I learned about this site at PPCT, which I love, and I registered here hoping to learn lots more about conserving and fine-tuning of digital memories.

It's all about conservation of memories for me. I will never be a good photographer, but I want to be able to remember all those great moments in life...

And I'm looking forward to see lots of pictures of all you guys!! :)

K.

Russell
02-05-2004, 12:47 AM
My name is Aaron and my interests lie with digital photography (currently shooting with a Canon 10D) and width digital video (currently shooting with a Sony TRV27).

Anyone else?

Aaron... how is the Cannon 10D? I was looking at the Digital Rebel, but I think I am now chaning my mind because it has a plastic body, and I want it to last a little longer.

Russell

Jason Dunn
02-05-2004, 12:52 AM
Aaron... how is the Cannon 10D? I was looking at the Digital Rebel, but I think I am now chaning my mind because it has a plastic body, and I want it to last a little longer.

Just my 2 cents: I've been using the Rebel quite a bit since I purchased it in October, and there's nary a scratch on the body. The plastic seems quite tough...

Lee Yuan Sheng
02-05-2004, 01:13 AM
Most amatuers won't destroy their cameras unless they have an accident with it (oops and ouch). The wunderplastik cameras have done pretty well all the time except in the perception department, so I don't see why the 300D won't be an exception (and the lens mount is metal too; consider that an upgrade over the 300 which the 300D was based on).

Gary Sheynkman
02-05-2004, 04:11 AM
Hi...

My name is Gary the Poll King. Ive just admitted to myself that Im a geek and decided to wear it proudly. Ive been with Thoughts since the early days of PPCT. I have a Sony DSC-P31 (yes the 2mp soapbox) and when my dad comes to US he brings his F717 over (but we end up using mine because his is too big). Once I get a new pc (cause my cant handle big video) I want to get into digital video...but i dont think that will happen until I get those college discounts (hmmm where that bradley application....their pcs are bargains) :roll:

Im just technology crazy :wink:

famousdavis
02-06-2004, 09:56 PM
Hi folks -- famousdavis here.

Yup. I'm a PPT member, too. Great community, that!

This site is very timely. About 18 months ago, I bought a Canon A40 as my first venture into digital photography. As another member already mentioned, the A40 does very well in outdoor shots, not nearly so well in indoor shots. I sold my A40 in less than one day on eBay after I posted just one picture taken of my 5-year-old daughter playing on the beach on an sunny day -- the unretouched colors were spectacular.

I sold my A40 to upgrade to the Canon S50. I was hoping to get better red-eye reduction (it is better -- but still not that great), and better low-light auto-focusing (which the S50 does do a good job doing at close range, thanks to that little white beam of light it shoots out). Having 5 megapixels in the S50 (as opposed to just 2 megapixels on the A40) is really wonderful -- I can crop and still get a crisp paper photograph.

But I don't know how to use a digital camera very well! I've used the Auto settings almost always, and there are times when the Auto settings aren't that great.

Finally, I'm in the market for a digital camcorder to replace my 5-year-old Sharp 8mm model. I bought the latest Sharp digital offering at the end of last year, and returned the model back to the store -- twice! -- because of poor performance (loud motor noise on the audio track, whacked out colors on one unit when videotaping in bright outdoor light). Seems like motor noise is a big problem with digital camcorders.

Howdy to those PPT members whose names I recognize! Jason, Surgical Snack, Dean, Karin, etc. :D

CTSLICK
02-08-2004, 05:49 AM
Hey gang! Special hello to all the familiar names from PPCT's

My first digital camera was a Olympus 2100UZ. Still own this camera and it still produces awesome shots. It may only be 2 MP but the optics are top rate and I love that 10x optical zoom with image stabilization.

Just bought my wife a Canon A70...she never did like using the 2100UZ, too big and, in her opinion, too hard to use. She loves her Canon, small and she figured out how to use it within 5 minutes.

Printing-wise I use a Canon i950..great printer. Set up was easy and it produces really nice prints.

Next step for me is video editing. I've got lots of footage I would like to edit and get to DVD. The plan is to get a new PC soon that will be a little more capable for this task...no sense in hanging a bunch of accessories on a 4 yr old PC that is hardly up to the task. I am thinking that new DV camcorder may be in my future some where too. Dang...I need a second job!

mrwickham
02-08-2004, 06:06 PM
Just thought I would say hello.
Current Equipment uisng Digital Media
Canon 10D (24-70L, 70-200is L, 50, 20 lens)
Sony DCR-TRV900
Ipaq 3955
Compaq T1000 Tablet

Past Equipment (hidden from wife's view :wink: or sold to buy new toys :D
Canon G1
Canon Rebel 2000
Too many pdas and other toys to mention.

I look forward to getting to know people and helping out where I can.

stitics
02-20-2004, 09:32 PM
Hello everyone,

I, too, am coming over here from PPCT. I don't know much (read: anything) about digital photography, yet, but I just aquired a Toshiba PDR-4300. I am not really sure where it fits in the big picture as far as quality goes, I just know it fit in my price range at the time I was buying it, and that I like it so far. Prior to that purchase, I was just using the built-in camera on my Nokia 3650 phone.

I look forward to learning a great many things from this site, and getting to know the people who post here.

Paul Martin
02-20-2004, 09:58 PM
I just aquired a Toshiba PDR-4300. I am not really sure where it fits in the big picture as far as quality goes...

One place to check out reviews is at DPRview. Here is their listing for Toshiba (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Toshiba/). PPCT has a great resource in reviews and user knowledge base, so I look forward to DMT growing as the go-to resource. :way to go:

Lee Yuan Sheng
02-20-2004, 11:55 PM
Heh, don't worry about camera quality, if it's a current generation digital camera, it should do fine for most of us.

Paul Martin
02-21-2004, 12:30 AM
Hi...

My name is Gary the Poll King.

Gary the Poll King... what happened to your avatar? Surely you didn't take a poll and not like the results. :) My pet theory: You don't want to choose the same one Jason does and be reassigned to Barney (http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=34790&highlight=#34790)!

Gary Sheynkman
02-21-2004, 06:46 PM
Hi...

My name is Gary the Poll King.

Gary the Poll King... what happened to your avatar? Surely you didn't take a poll and not like the results. :) My pet theory: You don't want to choose the same one Jason does and be reassigned to Barney (http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=34790&highlight=#34790)!

whats wrong with my avatar :? :?:

Paul Martin
02-21-2004, 07:25 PM

It wasn't there yesterday. Just an X.

Paul

Suhit Gupta
02-21-2004, 10:44 PM
Yeah, it appeared to be missing yesterday. Anyways, it is one of the Maatrix twins now, so presumably there is a identical backup avatar ;-)

Suhit

Gary Sheynkman
02-21-2004, 10:48 PM

It wasn't there yesterday. Just an X.

Paul

well um :arrow: maybe I wanted it to be an X :roll:

My new on rulez 8) :silly:

Paul Martin
02-22-2004, 12:33 AM
To each his own....just afraid of seeing Barney. :pukeface:

Side note. I used to due temp work for Lyric corp. (creators of our purple friend). One of jobs was unloading a truck into the warehouse. If you dropped a box, you could hear very weakly... "I love you, you love me..." Kind of a clumsy day. :lol:

Lee Yuan Sheng
02-22-2004, 02:14 AM
GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! X_X

Gary Sheynkman
02-22-2004, 03:11 AM
GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! X_X

I was lucky enough to be an immigrant from a post communist nation and did not experience the horrors of cheesy American shows when I came....Barney was just not cool when you are 11

Paul Martin
02-22-2004, 03:38 AM
Oh, to be Barney-ignorant! Actually, I guess the Purple One wouldn't be so bad if the cheese factor weren't so hi. As a daddy to little ones, however, the cheesier the better for them. :lol:

Gary Sheynkman
02-22-2004, 06:47 AM
Oh, to be Barney-ignorant! Actually, I guess the Purple One wouldn't be so bad if the cheese factor weren't so hi. As a daddy to little ones, however, the cheesier the better for them. :lol:

another thing.....can someone explain teletubbies to me??? They talk in a different language...is that baby talk (remember the movie: baby geniouses?)

PS: can someone with mod powers split the barney and intro thread into two different ones? thanks

Steven Cedrone
02-24-2004, 03:08 PM
Geez, you guys need a moderator! :wink: I feel bad, all I have is a Canon s110! I love taking pictures (quantity, not quality - for now, that's why I'm here!)...

I'm going to be getting a new digital camera soon, and I'll be looking for input here during the purchase process! Once that's done, we'll work on my photography skills! :wink:

Steve

klinux
03-01-2004, 09:33 PM
I love the s110! I would still using if I had not lost it. :(

Currently using a Kodak DX6490 (10x zoom) but not really into photogrpahy yet. Other gadgets include PPC (many), Palm (not so many), iPod (2nd Gen 30 GB), and many PCs and Macs.

Jereboam
03-01-2004, 11:26 PM
I am, shockingly, a PPCT member ;) and as the announcement was made shuffled over here to register...

I like my Fuji's and currently have the F700 to pretend to be reasonably serious about photography and the F402 for surreptitious happy snaps of my friends when they are drunk and in compromising situations.

No Finepix forum? I'm mildly surprised I thought they were a ranking make. Complaining already, see :) .

Anyway, glad to be onboard and looking forward to my daily dose of digital madness.

J'bm

Jason Dunn
03-02-2004, 12:28 AM
No Finepix forum? I'm mildly surprised I thought they were a ranking make. Complaining already, see :)

There are a LOT of digital camera makers out there, so what I did was find a market share report and I picked the top ones. You can use the "Other" forum for now. I know it might feel demeaning, but it's not. ;-)

Jerry Raia
03-02-2004, 12:34 AM
Jerry Here. I just have to have every gadget that comes out, whether I need it or not. :twisted:

I have a Minolta Dimage X

Jereboam
03-02-2004, 12:51 AM
No Finepix forum? I'm mildly surprised I thought they were a ranking make. Complaining already, see :)

There are a LOT of digital camera makers out there, so what I did was find a market share report and I picked the top ones. You can use the "Other" forum for now. I know it might feel demeaning, but it's not. ;-)

Maybe when we've reached some critical mass of registered users we can run a poll to see who uses which brands and open new individual forums based on the results?

;)

Jason Dunn
03-02-2004, 12:59 AM
Maybe when we've reached some critical mass of registered users we can run a poll to see who uses which brands and open new individual forums based on the results?

Absolutely - the forums are not written and stone, and ultimately user demand will guide their creation. ie: if I see dozens of posts for a specific OEM brand in a matter of weeks, we'll create a new forum and move them. Conversely, if a forum remains low-traffic for months, it will get absorbed into another forum.

dazz
03-02-2004, 03:25 PM
Well, I feel like the poor kid with the tattered pants here. I just saved my pennies and bought an HP Photosmart 635. It is only 2.1mp and the battery life is truly abysmal. :cry:

I gotta tell you though, I LOVE IT! :D I can snap pics of my kids all day long and don't even have to THINK about development costs. I'm sure that for some the novelty has worn off but I am still lovin’ it.

The other day we decided to go to the park and I brought my HP with me. I got a bunch of shots of the family posing with Lake Ontario in the background as well as a nice shot of the sun set. I NEVER would have bothered to bring a film camera to the park.

We got what I thought was a slightly surreal shot as well. When we went, everything was still pretty well covered in snow and we were bundled against the cold. But down on the lake we saw a lone swan enjoying a swim in the lake. Just thought that was strange, so I snapped a picture. :)

Anyway, the point is, I just would not have bothered with film because of the development costs but with digital I am a shutter bug. :wink:

dazz

Crocuta
03-04-2004, 12:56 AM
Yet another PPCT member. I am mostly into wildlife photography, and I currently use a Minolta 600si film camera for that. For everything else, I use a Sony F505, which was really cutting edge when I bought it. I also bought a Sony U30 for my wife about a year ago, which she loves. It's only 2MP and has no zoom, but it is SO tiny that it's always in her purse. Now she's never without a camera to snap shots of interesting things that she runs across.

I've been waiting for digital to reach a certain level before shifting to a DSLR for my wildlife photos, and it's really pretty much there now, but I'm still holding off for about another year. I predict the next version of the Cannon 300D and Nikon D70 (whatever they call them) will each be the no compromise camera I've been waiting for. Then I'll have the extreme pleasure of choosing which company will get my lens/accessories business for the next several years.

Andy Manea
03-04-2004, 10:38 PM
I got here a little late, but thought I'd post anyway.

I use the Fuji Finepix 4700, one of the old ones that still use Smart Media cards, which means that I carry around a lot of 128MB cards. Even though it's a 3.something MP camera it presumably shoots 4.something pics due to its CCD sensor. I use it all the time, the excitment of not having to develop any pictures if I don't want to has never worn off for me, and I've had this camera for 2 years now! I use the movie feature very often, which is surprising given that I thought that was completely unnecessary for a digicam - until I first opened the box.

I will buy a new camera eventually, actually two: a tiny one I can carry around at all times (I learned to appreciate fast low-quality shots with my camera cell phone - until I lost it) and a really good one. I'll wait with the latter one, the size and price tag just aren't motivating enough for now.

The memory is also something I can't make up my mind about. CF is cheap, but SD I could use with my PPC. xd and the Sony trash are out of the question - I've already had enough with the SM cards!

Maybe that was a little too much info - but hi everybody :mrgreen:

Bob12
03-05-2004, 03:03 PM
Yet another migrant from PPCT. My primary digital is currently a Canon D60 SLR with 35-350 lens. However, I have the new Canon EOS-1D Mark 2 8.2mp SLR on order (expecting arrival about mid April) and am looking forward to it. I also have a Sony CD400 for casual pictures and a Canon EOS-1N 35mm SLR when I just have to use film (rarely with the D60 and probably more so with the new 1D.

Candygogo
03-06-2004, 04:52 AM
Jumping in late to thread to say: I'm pretty much a digital beginner. Dipped my toe in the waters with a 2mp camera a while ago and will definately move up soon to a better resolution camera. My 'outfit kit' consistes of the above mentioned camera, hp photosmart portable printer a couple of memory cards, and a Podzilla I just bought. :)

Macguy59
03-07-2004, 04:16 PM
Howdy :)

I'm Terry and like most everyone else a devout PPC user and a PPCT's subscriber. I purchased my first digicam 2 years ago. My camera timeline would be HP 115 (1.2MP) - - ->Canon A40 (2.0MP) - - ->Sony DSC-P92 (5.0MP). The Sony was purchased last week after I initially rejected them because of the memory stick so we'll see how it turns out. Most of my shots are of family members in various sports and vacation shots. I also drive the local greenery managers nuts because I use some of their exotic flowers as subjects for learning/testing closeup macro's. I live in the US (Illinois)

Mr. MacinTiger
03-08-2004, 02:50 PM
I live on the North Carolina coast and I guess what you could call an "advanced novice" at digital photography and video (meaning I know just enough to do some damage :P heh heh). For me, switching over to a Mac with OS X a couple of years ago really helped my creative process, the iLife software and Final Cut Express have really opened up a lot of new avenues and ideas for me.

At any rate, I am an early 90's graduate of Clemson University and follow their sports programs fanatically, hense my avatar.

igroknful
03-12-2004, 09:06 AM
Like everyone else I migrated from PPCT. I have a Sony F707, Canon S400 and a Canon Elura 40. I like taking photos but I don't have any formal training. The Sony isn't very convenient to carry around hence, the S400. I'm looking to seeing everyone's photos.

Rhonda