View Full Version : existing mp3 files/folders

bocatex
11-22-2007, 06:46 PM
I have several hundred albums I've converted to mp3 format. I haved created CD's which I play in my car. Now I bought a Zune and I had hoped to load these albums onto my Zune. The software did not completely process my existing files into its 'collection'. Some it handles okay although it didn't interpret the folder names as the album names - to it album is 'unknown'. Some it only handled fragments of the album.
Two questions:
1. Is there some folder name and file name convention I can adopt so that the Zune s/w will recognize them for what they are?

2. I find the documentation of the software totally inadequate. Is there a Zune for Dummies?

Any comments are appreciated.

killashandra
05-28-2008, 10:24 PM
1. Is there some folder name and file name convention I can adopt so that the Zune s/w will recognize them for what they are?

2. I find the documentation of the software totally inadequate. Is there a Zune for Dummies?

Hi - welcome to Zune from a fellow neophyte :)

I just right clicked and updated the unknown albums by re-editing the tags with the Zune client. It's really time-consuming and annoying, and involves a LOT of consulting with your original folders. The software is REALLY picky about organizing the albums - I've been playing with it for a week now. (My biggest complaint with the otherwise GREAT Zune.)

This place right here is your Zune for Dummies, fortunately AND unfortunately.

By the way, be aware, that if you erase the content from your computer, you also automatically erase it from your Zune! I found that out the hard way after erasing 3 videos that I spent all nite converting. I figured since I had the original DVDs that I'd be okay. WRONG-O! So, cut to me re-converting the DVDs again. :rolleyes:

Anyway, GOOD LUCK! I plan on giving a LOT of feedback to the Zune devs about the way the software works with it. It definitely needs some work. But the device itself is great, I love it.

:)

Jason Dunn
05-29-2008, 01:02 AM
I have several hundred albums I've converted to mp3 format...The software did not completely process my existing files into its 'collection'. Some it handles okay although it didn't interpret the folder names as the album names - to it album is 'unknown'.

Remember that line from Cool Hand Luke? "What we have here is a failure to communicate." In this case, what we have here is a failure of metadata. Metadata is data that's embedded inside the file - it's data in the MP3 file that contains information such as:

- Genre
- Album year
- Album name
- Album artist
- etc.

I'm not sure what program you used to rip your MP3s, but it sounds like you have files that are missing metadata - and without that metadata, the Zune software (or really, most music management software) doesn't know what to do with your music in terms of identifying it. It doesn't go by the file name, it goes by the metadata.

Nope. File names and folder names won't help you unfortunately - you need to get that metadata right. You can use the Zune software to fix it, or you can download a free program that I think is really great: MediaMonkey (http://www.mediamonkey.com). It's not the easiest program in the world to use, but it's REALLY great at helping you see what metadata is missing, and you can select a song and press CONTROL+L to have it look it up on Amazon.com and try to fill in the missing metadata.

Getting your metadata right takes some time, but it's something you only have to do once.

You bet - right here on Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Zune-Dummies-Computer-Tech/dp/0470120452/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212019201&sr=8-1). Note that it's for the first generation Zune though, so I wouldn't suggest buying it - wait for the second generation book to come out.