View Full Version : Zune 2.x Installation Problems - Where's The Fix?

robshobs
11-19-2007, 04:06 PM
I have been trying to upgrade my desktop Zune software since it was released and all I've had is problems. And as usual, there appears to be no fix in sight from Microsoft. I'm also very surprised that ZuneThoughts has not had any posts about the problem as it is fairly wide spread.

Running the setup leads to one of many failure messages all with a link to a Microsoft support page. Of course, this is where the new software come from that is causing the problem. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944938

In reading various forums, suggestions have been to disable Windows Firewall, enable Windows Firewall, turn off System Restore, remove various registry settings, remove various applications and so on. I've tried them all and still no help.

And of course calling Zune support does no good because they walk you though all the same stupid steps and then finally tell you they can't find a resolution and to wait for a new fix.

Wait for a new fix?!?!?! Now I cannot access Zune to renew my subscription and so my music is locked! This is crazy!

Anybody have similar problems? Anybody find a fix? The only one I've heard so far is to format your PC and start from scratch. I wouldn't call that a fix.

Rob

Jason Dunn
11-21-2007, 06:06 AM
Hmm - this is honestly the first I've heard of it, but I don't really have time to scour the Zune.net forums to see what's going on. What exactly is the error message you're seeing? If you'd like to write up a report of sorts, I'll gladly front-page it...

damien1378
11-27-2007, 11:27 PM
I too have been plagued with install problems. I installed the software on three machines: Win XP Pro, Win XP Home, and Vista Business. Guess which one failed to install.

On the Vista machine, the install gets through the update and preparing stage then begins to install. at about 62-64% the install queue jumps to 100% and an error message appears.

Installation failed
Setup must stop because the required package "Zune" failed to install.

DIFXAPP: InstallDriverPackages failed with error 0xE0000303

Error Code: 0xE0000303
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkID=101253

I have tried all of the above "fixes" but nothing works so far.

Jason Dunn
11-28-2007, 10:30 PM
On the Vista machine, the install gets through the update and preparing stage then begins to install. at about 62-64% the install queue jumps to 100% and an error message appears.

Is this on a machine that was running the 1.x version of the Zune desktop software? Have you tried uninstalling the Zune 1.x software first, then installing the new software?

I haven't heard of that exact error message before...have you tried calling Zune support?

damien1378
11-29-2007, 04:50 AM
was on a machine with no prior Zune software. Seems to have been a device or software conflict though. I reinstalled Vista and ran setup with no problems on a clean Vista Business machine.

So I am officially up and running. Now if I could only figure out why my wireless sync won't work. . .

Jason Dunn
12-06-2007, 09:51 PM
I reinstalled Vista and ran setup with no problems on a clean Vista Business machine.

Oh yeah, the old "re-install your whole OS to get our stuff to work" Microsoft solution. :D