View Full Version : Zune dock video is com-pon-ent

randalllewis
11-19-2007, 02:58 AM
I was lazily listening to Paul Thurott's podcast about the Zune yesterday. When he got to the video capabilities, he noted that the Zune Dock had video out jacks to allow you to plug the device into a TV. The host was impressed and asked what kind of output it was- composite or component. Paul said, "it's the low end one, whatever that is." To which the host, audibly disappointed, said, "oh composite."

I thought that was curious. I knew I had read something about the Zune Dock somewhere. But before I could get to the computer, the mailman brought my very own Zune Dock to the door.

Looking the dock over, I didn't see the jacks. Jason, who broke the news on the dock last Monday, didn't tell us that the jacks hide behind a removable panel. But there they are: high end component jacks, not composite. Like Jason, I don't know how much this capability will get used, but it adds to the real well done nature of the new Zunes and the accessories. This dock had one surprise after another. It is substantial and comes with a soft base that won't mark finishes and won't slide. The sliding connector and removable faceplates are clever and well done: easy to remove while staying put when installed. I appreciated the pass through jack for the headphones as well.

So far, my Zune experience (I am now up to 2) as been positive.

(My only glitch was really my fault. It took me a while to get wireless sync to work. It forgot all about my silly firewall.)