View Full Version : WM 6 Alarm Clock - Grrr!

Pete Paxton
11-07-2007, 11:00 PM
I hate windows mobile alarm clock. After the latest time change, my alarm now goes off at 5:00 am instead of 6:00 even though the time on my Dash is correct and the alarm time is set for 6:00. So I decided to just turn off the alarm all together and you know what? It still goes off at 5:00. So let me recap, my alarm is set for 6:00 and is in the OFF position and yet it goes off each morning at 5:00. Has this happened to any of you? If so, how did you resolve it?

Rocco Augusto
11-07-2007, 11:06 PM
Yeah, I have been having a similar problem with my new Motorola Q9h. At one point the clock set itself back and hour for no good reason (this was after fall back!) and for the past couple days my alarm has been going off an hour later so I'm sleeping in and getting to work late. :(

I hate this stupid time change stuff. :mad:

aussienick
11-07-2007, 11:22 PM
Hey guys,

I had the same problem with the Australian DST changes last week, i had to hard reset (clear storage) on my HTC TYTN II, such a pain!!!

omikr0n
11-07-2007, 11:54 PM
On the other hand, I've got HTC TyTN II as well. Went thru time change (or whatever it is called) and never experienced a single problem. I use an alarm almost daily.

Tim Williamson
11-08-2007, 12:01 AM
Top Secret Hint: DO NOT USE THE BUILT-IN WINDOWS MOBILE ALARM!!! ;)

The first program I install (and HIGHLY recommend) is Gentimer or one of the free 3rd-party alarm apps out there. Using Gentimer I haven't had any alarm problems at all. The only issue I ran into was at the time change, my Dash set the time 2 hours back, so I thought I had waken up at 5am but it was really 6am that morning.

Other than that, I never have alarm problems anymore after I stopped using the built-in alarm.

stevew
11-08-2007, 12:45 AM
I know I'm getting real tired of WM5 and 6 related stuff not working and having to keep looking for a work around or 3rd party solution. It's getting old and I'm about over it. After many years with PPC and Smartphones I never thought I'd say it but the iphone is starting to look real good to me as well as a new iMac Pro.

aguttad
11-08-2007, 02:39 AM
Not only is it inaccurate I can't even set a good tone that I like for it without a bunch of work! So now I'm using my Motorola RAZR v9 instead of my Moto Q9 as an alarm.. Only using the Q9 as a data work house for MSFP and Web browsing.. Sad day...

Did have problems down here in Ozz with DST also.. Moved 'some' of my calendar events back an hour.. But not my MS Exchange version... Go figure...

Pete Paxton
11-08-2007, 02:45 AM
So am I really going to have to hard reset my device just to turn off the alarm? I don't even care if it doesn't work correctly at this point but I can't even turn the darn thing off. This is just dumb. Microsoft are you listening? If any of you can think of a way, please let us know.

Rocco Augusto
11-08-2007, 02:46 AM

I miss the alarm app on my old Samsung Blackjack :(

mikedcw
11-08-2007, 02:55 AM
I hate windows mobile alarm clock. After the latest time change, my alarm now goes off at 5:00 am instead of 6:00 even though the time on my Dash is correct and the alarm time is set for 6:00. So I decided to just turn off the alarm all together and you know what? It still goes off at 5:00. So let me recap, my alarm is set for 6:00 and is in the OFF position and yet it goes off each morning at 5:00. Has this happened to any of you? If so, how did you resolve it?

I registered just to help you guys with this. When I had my Dash I had the same annoying problem. Just go to http://s-k-tools.com/index.html?sktools/m_lite.html and download SKTools Lite for WM5 & WM6 Smartphones, which is free. Open the software and search around the menus and find the tool for the "Notification Queue" and delete the alarm entries that are in the queue. This will fix it, but it may return and you will have to delete the entries again.

Tim Williamson
11-08-2007, 03:03 AM
So am I really going to have to hard reset my device just to turn off the alarm? I don't even care if it doesn't work correctly at this point but I can't even turn the darn thing off. This is just dumb. Microsoft are you listening? If any of you can think of a way, please let us know.

Try using SKTools to clear out the "Notification Queue".

dgage
11-08-2007, 05:45 AM
Gentimer is the second most important app on my Smartphone after email. It is also the first app I install on a new or reset Smartphone.

Have not run into your problem with the internal alarm clock on my Moto Q. However, it didn't take me long to stop using it, which may be why I never ran into the problem you are having.

David

jfreiman
11-08-2007, 07:39 AM
Is it HTC or Microsoft?

Someone is dropping the ball and I tend to think that it's HTC, not MS.

The Alarm clock on the Dash/Excalibur has been broken since day one - WM5 (T-Mo and HTC) and still has problems on the three WM6 ROMS I've tried - Rogers, T-Mobile and HTC (WWE).

HTC has "little" but annoying bugs on each of their phones I've owned, and I've owned 4 of them.

In my opinion HTC spreads themselves too thin and it shows in their sketchy code.

I hope someone/entity pressures HTC to fix things for their existing phones before they release another half-dozen or more phones with little but annoying bugs.

That said, my next phone will be the TouchDual. Sure it will have some annoying problem but I'm craving a new phone!!!

-John

weirded
11-08-2007, 03:13 PM
This was already broken in WM5. I experienced this on my Treo 750 and was *VERY* annoyed by it (even without a DST change, I managed to get a "hung" alarm). Seriously -- how hard can it be to do QA on an alarm clock? It was things like this (and many other annoyances) that drove me away from Windows Mobile.

Pete Paxton
11-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Well, you guys are pretty darned impressive. I tried the SKTools and it worked great. My alarm did not go off this morning. Trust me I will NOT be using the WM6 alarm again. I have AlarmMaster and I'll be installing and using that. I think it's pathetic that my $10 watch has a much more reliable alarm than my $300 Dash. Anyway, thanks again for your help.

Tim Williamson
11-08-2007, 07:14 PM
Haven't alarms been a problem ever since Pocket PC 2000?

acharn
11-08-2007, 09:19 PM

The first program I install (and HIGHLY recommend) is Gentimer or one of the free 3rd-party alarm apps out there. Using Gentimer I haven't had any alarm problems at all. The only issue I ran into was at the time change, my Dash set the time 2 hours back, so I thought I had waken up at 5am but it was really 6am that morning.

Other than that, I never have alarm problems anymore after I stopped using the built-in alarm.

i liked gentimer on my cingular 2125, but it was horrible on my blackjack. i don't recommend that product at all. i haven't checked to see if they have an update, but they said that they fixed the problems on one release, but it turned out to be false. my money went down the drain on that product. the blackjack has a great alarm built in, does all that gentimer does, and doesn't cost anything. i wake up every morning to my custom ringtone. then i head to the gym, which kind of sucks.

Damion Chaplin
11-08-2007, 11:17 PM
This was already broken in WM5.

Uh, yeah, this is news how?

Windows Mobile's time features (alarms, reminders etc.) have ALWAYS been broken. It has never worked properly once since before it was even Windows Mobile. My original year-2000 iPaq wouldn't remind me when appointments occured, and my year-2007 Blackjack is exactly the same.

For a Personal Data Assistant, you'd think they'd program it to tell time properly... :rolleyes:

Thankfully I wear a watch and own a proper alarm clock. ;)

Jason Dunn
11-09-2007, 08:29 PM
I don't use alarms to wake me up in the morning, but I do use reminder alarms for appointments...and I can say with 100% certainty that with the AT&T Tilt, T-Mobile Dash, and the HTC Touch (all devices I've used in the past year or so) I always get my reminders triggering. I have zero problems...which is why it's SO puzzling when some people have horrible issues with this and others such as myself have no problems. I know for a fact that the folks at Microsoft are having a really hard time nailing down the issue...intermittent problems such as this are brutally hard to figure out. :(

Tim Williamson
11-09-2007, 09:09 PM
My reminders always work, but on my Dash it only vibrates when a reminder triggers instead of playing a sound like it's supposed to.

Jason Dunn
11-09-2007, 10:18 PM
My reminders always work, but on my Dash it only vibrates when a reminder triggers instead of playing a sound like it's supposed to.

Yeah, I had that problem as well when I did the Windows Mobile 6 upgrade. What a frustrating experience, and so incredibly shoddy of T-Mobile to release an upgrade with such a MASSIVE, GLARING problem.

See if this helps:
http://forums.thoughtsmedia.com/showthread.php?t=22304

I tried to follow the instructions but never was successful. Hopefully you'll have more luck - I'll be going back to the Dash when I finish with the Tilt, but the Dash has been upgraded with the HTC ROM image, which I hope doesn't have that problem.

Mike Temporale
11-10-2007, 02:04 PM
I miss the alarm app on my old Samsung Blackjack :(

So I'm not the only one?! That device was great. I hope V.II is just as good.

Mike Temporale
11-10-2007, 02:09 PM
I've been using Gentimer on the Vox and it seems pretty nice so far. In regard to appointment reminders, I've never had a problem with them firing. However, I don't want to create an appointment in outlook just to get a alarm to fire in 30 minutes. ;)

Rivia
04-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Just for reference - I seen some of you experienced issues with Gentimer.

There is new version out, and it's better, more stable and faster ;) - and as usual the upgrade is free.

So if you have ever experienced problem with Gentimer (or you just use it) visit http://rivia.net/Gentimer.aspx and download a trial from there.

(I hope I'm not braking any forum rules with this post, if so I'll delete it)

--
Best Wishes,
Mateusz Grzegorzek