View Full Version : Possible to 'get x days' of email and *keep* old emails?

badbob001
11-06-2007, 04:39 PM
WM Standard (smartphone) has a 'feature' where if you specify x days of emails to get, it will delete from the device any emails outside of that range. Is there a way to prevent this auto-deletion?

The only option that doesn't delete old emails is obviously the option to download ALL emails, which is bad if you have 10,000+ emails. That is why I want the option to limit the amount of emails to download, but not at the expense of losing old emails. Even gmail's 'recent' trick of 30 days is too much for my taste. I thought it was a problem with gmail's pop3 implementation but the exact same thing happens over gmail imap, so it must be a problem with wm.

I know on WM Classic/Professional, there is a trick where you can tell it to get only headers but strangely also grab x amount of the body:
* [x] Only display messages from the last __ days
* Get full body / get message headers only
* [x] Include __KB of message body
Somehow, this leads to old emails not being deleted.

But on Standard (smartphone), I only see:
* Download messages: Today, past 3, past 5, past 7, past 30, all
* Message download limit: 2K, 5K, 50K, just text, headers only, all
So I can't use that trick since headers and body limit are not separate options.

I just need a freaking: [x] Do not automatically delete old emails.
Sure, I have a copy back on the PC, but I'm screwed if I need to look at that email when I'm not near my PC. How would you feel if wm decided to remove from the device all contacts that you haven't used past 30 days? Or remove photos older than 30 days? Obviously they don't do that, but why do they do it for one of the most important features of the device?!

Is this the choice of have to make?
* Download emails from the last x days and lose all others.
or
* Download all 10,000 emails and get to keep your old emails.
or
* Download all 10,000 email headers, get to keep your old emails, but have to tag and wait for the download each email body I want to look at.